The Z-180 Scattershot is a prominent Forerunner channel weapon that was used for close-range defense toward the end of their war with the Flood. While practically unstoppable up close, the most remarkable attribute of the Scattershot is its schismatic dispersal effect, drowning confined hard-surfaced interiors with brutal, ricocheting beams of energy.
- Like the Shotgun, the Scattershot can kill in one shot at point-blank range.
- The Scattershot has a longer effective range and higher rate-of-fire than the Shotgun, making it more effective at medium-close ranges.
- The Scattershot's beams can ricochet off of walls.
- The Scattershot's instant-kill range is shorter than the Shotgun's.
- The Scattershot has a slow reload speed.
- As with all Forerunner infantry weapons in Halo 4, the Scattershot self-assembles when picked up.
- A player can commit suicide by shooting the ground, ceiling, a wall, or a Hardlight Shield.
- Players killed by the Scattershot disintegrate upon death.
- This is the second weapon in the series to be break-action. The first was the M319 Individual Grenade Launcher.