The Z-110 Directed Energy Pistol/Exotic or Boltshot is a Promethean Forerunner pistol which fires concentrated bolts of hard light. It can be used as a secondary weapon for Halo 4 War Games and Spartan Ops loadouts and can be found throughout the Campaign. It is a close-range precision weapon and excels at destroying organic matter.
The Boltshot was originally used during the first century of the conflict between the Forerunners and the Flood. It remained in use when the war ended two centuries later and during the Requiem conflicts.
The Boltshot has two firing modes: standard and a charged burst. Using the standard mode of fire, it takes 10 shots to drop a player's shield and takes 3-4 shots to kill a player. It can also kill an unshielded player instantly with a shot to the head.
Holding the trigger down will charge the weapon. Continuing to hold the trigger for about 2 seconds or releasing the trigger will cause the burst to release. This burst can kill a fully-shielded player instantly from within 15 feet. The damage dealt drops quickly after this range. The burst does not cause extra damage to the head. The charged shot will use 5 bolts from the clip, but only one bolt is needed to charge and fire. A burst that uses less than 5 bolts will do the same amount of damage as a burst that uses 5 bolts.
- Switching to the Boltshot to get the killing headshot on an unshielded opponent is faster than reloading a primary weapon.
- The charged shot can be used to instantly kill a player in close quarters. Even if the shot only drains the shields, the player can still be killed quickly with a follow-up melee.
- The single shots are very weak, requiring a full magazine just to bring down an opponent's shield.
- The Boltshot has only 40 shots maxmium.
- The charged shot is difficult to aim and a miss is very punishing.
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
- No longer has the charge shot.
- Fires in a three-round burst.
- Shots now track enemies similar to the Needler.
- Watchers can fire charged shots at close ranges. This behavior is rare due to the Watcher's mobility and skittishness under fire.
- The Boltshot was likely the basis or inspiration for the Plasma Pistol, as most Covenant weapons were reverse engineered based on Forerunner technology.
- The Z-110 is the third weapon in the Halo series that is capable of a headshot but does not include a zoom function. The first two were the M6C Personal Defense Weapon System seen in Halo 2 and the M6G Personal Defense Weapon System seen in Halo 3.
- In Title Update v1.03, the Boltshot's effective burst fire range was reduced from 20–25 feet to 15 feet.
- Halo 4's internal files refer to the Boltshot as the Stasis Pistol.