In addition to customizing armor, you are allowed to customize the color of your visor from the traditional yellow gold to a variety of colors. There are 5 colors available to choose from. These are purely cosmetic and have no effect on gameplay whatsoever. The colors available are Default, Silver, Blue, Black and Gold.
|Silver||Sergeant, 35,000 cR|
|Blue||Warrant Officer, 50,000 cR|
|Black||Lt. Colonel, 100,000 cR|
|Gold||Colonel, 250,000 cR|
Visor colors are seen again in Halo 4 but with a wider variety to choose from.Visors can be unlocked by leveling up, completing Commendations and completing Specializations. Like Halo: Reach, these are purely cosmetic and have no effect on gameplay.
|Cyan||Commendation From the Brink - Master||Cyan Fading to Green|
|Blindside||Commendation Avenger - Master||Dark Red Fading to Black|
|Sunspot||Commendation Assistant - Master||Purple Fading to Cyan|
|Verdant||Commendation Splatter - Master||Green|
|Legendary||Beat the campaign on Legendary||Gold|
|Wetwork||Rank WK-6||Red/Blue gradient|
|Operator||Rank OP-6||Pink/Orange fading to Purple|
|Pathfinder||Rank PT-6||Red fading to Green|
|Engineer||Rank EN-6||Blue fading to Purple|
|Stalker||Rank SK-6||Bronze fading to Black|
|Rogue||Rank RG-6||Dark Red fading to Purple|
- The Silver (in Halo: Reach) and Frost (in Halo 4) visors can be used to replicate the true ODST helmet, and they contain a description implying that it is the color of the ODST's. The Blue colored option is more accurate according to Halo 3: ODST, however. Also, you have to use the Black visor to replicate the Halo: Reach ODST helmet, meaning you can use three different colored visors to complete the ODST look, depending on what game you want to match.
- The Gold visor can be used to replicate both the Mark V and Mark VI helmet.
- It seems that some campaign characters (specifically Jun-A266 and Jorge-052) have their own visor color of reddish-orange. This visor color is not available in the armory.
- Bungie stated that there originally was going to be a Red visor color that would be unlocked at Inheritor, but it was cut a month before Reach was released.
- The Black visor's description quotes Henry Ford, saying: "You can have it in any color you want... as long as it's black."
- There are many fake YouTube videos showing "secret" visor colors.
- The player must have at least 435,000 cR and must be a Colonel to own every visor color.
- If wearing the Default visor color with green armor, the visor color appears golden. This is most noticeable with the Grenadier helmet. This may be a reference to Halo: Combat Evolved as the Master Chief was completely green, whereas in the later games his armor's color has darkened to sage.