Well, I'm not one for reviews, but here it goes:
- As we all know, the Halo Encyclopedia was released two weeks ago on October 24th, and I was very excited to order my copy, thinking of how great a big book of all the Halo information would be. After I ordered my copy online, I visited the article's talk page to see what to expect. I saw horrified posts that the book was full of blatant mistakes, was poorly made and had little truth.
This worried me, thinking that Frankie, Buckell and 343 Industries had made a terrible mistake, or to be more precise, dozens of mistakes.
- When my copy finally arrived two weeks later, I soon realised how exaggerated the complaints were. I was instantly amazed by the size of the book, all the hard work put into its layout and images, including some artwork I have never seen before, some of which I can only conclude is Halo: Reach related. As I scanned through its contents, I was overjoyed to see all my favourite aspects of Halo comprised into this neat collection. Another complaint was how no new content was provided, which is just not true. If one actually reads the book carefully and pays attention, they will see some major revelations, some of which are:
- The Museum of Humanity and John-117's tribute burial are cannon.
- Avery Johnson is confirmed to be a Spartan-I.
- Boren's Syndrome was fabricated by ONI to hide the identity of the Spartan-Is.
- John-117 and Cortana are left stranded on the Dawn for at least a few more decades, with the UNSC actively searching for them.
- The PV-Class cruiser is cannon, called the "PV-Class Destroyer".
- The Pious Inquisitor is a CCS-Class Battlecruiser and was part of Regret's Fleet before joining the Fleet of Retribution.
- Many aspects of I Love Bees are cannon.
- Rene's Spartan tag is 005.
- Shows an image of the San'Shyuum's original homeworld.
- However, this does not mean that the book does not have its mistakes such as:
- Getting John Forge and James Cutter's ages wrong.
- Depicting the Truth and Reconciliation as a CAS-class Assault Carrier.
- Stating that Rtas 'Vadum became Spec Ops Commander after the events on the Infinite Succor.
- Stating that the Battle of Installation 00 came before the Battle of Earth, which it refers to as the "First" and "Second" Battles.
- Has annoying habit of turning full sentences into single words by forgetting full stops, and adding FULL CAPITALS INTO SENTENCES FOR NO APPARENT REASON.
- Despite these flaws, the book is well worth it, and will please many a Halo fan. Total score: 8/10.