UNSC Iroquois (HCS: DD-906) was a Halberd-class destroyer commanded by the then-Commander Jacob Keyes. Three months after leaving drydock, it was the first ship to respond to the Covenant attack on Sigma Octanus IV. It was one of many surviving ships after the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV.
On July 17, 2552, during Covenant invasion of Sigma Octanus IV, the Iroquois was the first UNSC warship to respond to the attack. Iroquois engaged the Covenant fleet which consisted of one carrier, one RPV-class light destroyer and two frigates. Though outnumbered, Iroquois managed to destroy the Covenant destroyer and frigates using a maneuver that was named the Keyes Loop and a Shiva nuclear warhead. The carrier avoided the engagement, headed groundside to deploy Covenant ground forces and then left the system. Iroquois was still in orbit and badly damaged by the maneuver pulled off by Commander Keyes. A UNSC fleet then arrived, commanded by Admiral Michael Stanforth, and deployed the SPARTAN-IIs to engage the Covenant forces on the surface of Sigma Octanus IV in the city of Côte d'Azur.
After the engagement, Iroquois needed major repairs due to the damage it received; the ship needed to replace its ventral armor, a full engine overhaul, replace 15% of its electronic systems, five new superconducting magnets, as well as a replenished supply of Archer missiles, MAC rounds and Shiva nuclear warheads. The ship was repaired on UNSC Cradle, a refit station that arrived at Sigma Octanus with the UNSC fleet. However, full repairs to Iroquois was not possible as the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV just started after the arrival of a larger Covenant fleet.
Battle of Sigma Octanus IVEdit
- Main article: Battle of Sigma Octanus IV
The arrival of the larger Covenant fleet via slipspace was unprecedented by the UNSC fleet. During the engagement, Iroquois spotted a DAV-class light corvette in orbit above the planet and attempted to destroy it with a barrage of Archer missiles. The barrage missed its target when the stealth corvette jammed the missile guidance locks. In response, Iroquois rammed into the stealth corvette, stopping the Covenant ground forces from transmitting data from the planet's surface. With the Covenant ground operation foiled by the SPARTAN-II Blue Team, the remaining Covenant vessels fled the system.
Iroquois was covered with two meters of Titanium-A armor and Vanadium steel. It was painted with non-regulation, red war stripes painted on each side due to the name "Iroquois," a reference to an early Native American tribe. The ship also features a circular shaped bridge.
- Commanding Officer
- Commander Jacob Keyes
- Bridge Crew
- Lieutenant Aki Hikowa - Weapons Officer
- Lieutenant Hall - Operations Officer
- Lieutenant Jaggers - Navigation Officer (replaced with Ensign William Lovell after instance of insubordination)
- Lieutenant Dominique - Communications Officer
- It appears according to the Halo: Fall of Reach - Covenant comic book that UNSC Iroquois is a similar destroyer class to UNSC The Heart of Midlothian.
- The Iroquois Confederacy (Haudenosaunee, also known as the League of Peace and Power, Five Nations, or Six Nations) is a group of First Nations/Native Americans. It was originally made up of five tribes: The Mohawk, the Oneida, the Onondaga, the Cayuga, and the Seneca. A sixth tribe, the Tuscarora, joined after the original five nations were formed. They are also sometimes called the People of the Long House. They are often referred to as Iroquois, a term that some members of the group consider derogatory.
- It was the ship to create the Keyes Loop.
- Commander Keyes actually liked the war stripes painted on the ship, but intended to have them removed anyway. Both stripes were damaged during the execution of the Keyes Loop. The CO of UNSC Cradle offered to repaint or remove them for Keyes, but he refused and chose to leave them the way they were as a reminder of how close a call he had with death.
- After the battle, Commander Keyes was promoted to Captain by Admiral Stanforth due to his admirable and decisive actions upon engaging the previous Covenant fleet.
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)