The UNSC Air Force is an aerial division of the UNSC Defense Force (UNSCDF) along with the UNSC Army, Navy, and Marine Corps. The UNSC Air Force serves as an aerial defense and support force, primarily deploying from UNSC Navy vessels or from terrestrial airbases.
Much of the Air Force's operations are currently unknown, although it is likely that it is tasked with organizing aerial operations, conducting tactical strikes and bombing runs, providing close-air support for infantry forces, and transportation of UNSCDF personnel. It is known that it was present during the Battle of Mombasa, where Air Force F-99 UCAVs supported Marine forces. Although its specific functions and battlefield role are unclear, the Air Force was most likely assigned to support UNSC Army and Marine ground forces. It is also plausible that they made use of bombers, such as the Shortsword, and fighters such as the Hornet, the Falcon, and the SkyHawk. Another possibility is that the Air Force also utilize the Longsword, Sabre, and supposedly a special variant of the D77-TC Pelican marked with "AMX" (Air Mobility Express), as seen in Halo: Reach. The only known piece of equipment used by the Air Force is the Pilot helmet, which is compatible with all other UNSC armor systems.
|UNSC Defense Force commissioned officer ranks|
|Air Force:||2nd Lt||1st Lt||Capt||Maj||Lt Col||Col||Brig Gen||Maj Gen||Lt Gen||Gen||GOAF|
|UNSC Defense Force enlisted ranks|
|E-1||E-2||E-3||E-4||E-5||E-6||E-7||E-8||E-9||Senior Enlisted Advisor|
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Like the Army, extremely little is known about the Air Force. Initially, author Eric Nylund expressed the opinion that its role and function would have been absorbed into the UNSC Navy, though denied that this was canon. Later, in an interview, Frank O'Connor confirmed the existence of an Air Force branch of the UNSCDF.
- In Halo 2 and Halo 3 there are special troopers that pilot the Pelicans and Hornets in the games. They wear special helmets that appear similar to the helmets of modern day fighter pilots. It is possible that these troopers are members of the UNSC Air Force.
- The helmets worn differ from Halo 2 to Halo 3. The Halo 2 helmet consists of a rounded helmet with a large visor to see out of that appears similar to the helmets worn by today's helicopter pilots. The Halo 3 version is more compact and resembles the helmets worn by today's fighter pilots.
List of appearancesEdit
4. Halo 3: ODST, Uplift Nature Reserve
5. Halo: Reach, ONI: Sword Base (level)
|United Nations Space Command Defense Force|
|Uniformed services||Army • Air Force • Marine Corps • Navy|
|Major sub-divisions||Special Forces • Naval Intelligence • Colonial Militia|