- "Humanity can now breathe again. The Covenant has finally been driven back. The cost in lives- our troops and our citizens- has been enormous. But freedom never comes cheaply, and now, we rebuild. I promise this to every man, woman, and child on Earth and in its colonies. While we will continue to strive for a peaceful coexistence with other species, humanity will never again allow itself to be the victim of aggression. This is the moment we start to reclaim our rightful place in the universe."
- — Inaugural speech of Dr. Ruth Charet, new President of the Unified Earth Government; January 2553. 
The Unified Earth Government, or UEG, is the central civilian government that administers Earth and its colonies throughout a portion of the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy. It houses the Colonial Administration Authority, the UNSC, as well as the UN.
During the Human-Covenant war, the UNSC has assumed the governing function of the Unified Earth Government in the face of overwhelming Covenant threat. It is not known what its functions are after the war.
The Unified Earth Government traced its origins back to the Interplanetary War of the mid- to late-22nd Century in the Sol System. With numerous Earth governments fighting independent battles against Frieden and Koslovics forces, the UN became involved, eventually using the war to absorb most, if not all, Earth governments into itself to form a global government to combat the terrorists and stabilize the planet and its other world colonies. The UN won the war and the Unified Earth Government was formed, with its primary defense, scientific and exploratory force being the newly formed UNSC. Although the UEG seemed to have complete control over Earth and its colonies, the UN still existed as an organization and a political entity in the 26th century.
Sphere of influenceEdit
Human occupied systems were known to encompass a relatively wide radius of the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy, in various stages of colonization, from the well developed Inner colonies to the relatively recent and struggling Outer colonies. So far, 70 colonies have been referenced. Most of these colonies, under the influence of the UEG, were therefore controlled militarily by the UNSC.
The territory encompassed by the Inner colonies seemed to stretch in at least a 10.5-light year radius around Earth, and the Outer colonies beyond that. By 2468, the outermost colony was Harvest, at twelve light years from Earth - later, colonies were founded well beyond in the Outer colonies. Colonies may have been settled after Harvest, or founded during the Human-Covenant War.
The UEG's influence over these worlds were greatly reduced by the Covenant during the Human-Covenant War, with only Earth and a few scattered colonies left mostly intact by the end of the conflict in 2552. Since the end of the conflict, the UNSC is working to restore its galactic territories and has even recolonized some of its former worlds, including Reach. The UEG's power was also returned after the war from the military.
List of known coloniesEdit
- Epsilon Eridani system
- Sol system
- Ectanus 45 system
- Chi Rho - Unknown status
- Actium - Glassed in May 2545
- New Carthage - Under UEG control
- Skopje - Glassed in 2547
- 23 Librae system
- 26 Draconis system
- Levosia - Unknown status
- Charybdis system
- Charybdis IX - Glassed
- Chi Ceti system
- Eridanus system
- Epsilon Indi system
- Groombridge 1830 system
- Groombridge-1830 - Unsuccessfully attacked by Covenant
- Groombridge 34 system
- Station Delphi - Unknown status
- Procyon system
- Green Hills - Glassed in 2525
- Second Base - Glassed in 2525
- Hat Yai - Glassed in 2528 or 2529
- 111 Tauri system
- Victoria - Unknown status
- Beta Hydri system
- Beta Hydri VI - Unknown status
- Brunel system
- Circinius system
- Cygnus system
- Ectanus 45 system
- Chi Rho - Unknown status
- Hellespont system
- Hydra system - Unknown status
- Lambda Aurigae system
- Roost - Unknown status
- Lambda Serpentis system
- Leonis Minoris system - Three colonies, two glassed in 2537
- Luyten 726-8 system
- Paris system
- Paris IV - Glassed
- Sigma Octanus system
- Sigma Octanus IV - Unsuccessfully attacked by Covenant in 2552.
- Zeta Doradus system
- Algolis - Attacked, unknown status
- Andesia - Unknown status
- Ariel - Unknown status
- Asmara - Attacked, most likely glassed
- Asphodel - Unknown status
- Atlas Moons - Still held
- Ballast - Unsuccessfully attacked by Covenant
- Biko - Glassed in 2525
- Bliss - Glassed in 2526
- Boundary - Unknown status
- Cascade - Still held
- Concord - Still held
- Coral - Attacked in 2552, most likely glassed
- Cote d'Azure - Glassed
- Crystal - Unknown status
- Cyrus VII - Unknown status
- Draco III - Glassed
- Dwarka - Glassed
- Emerald Cove - Abandoned in 2542
- Eirene - Glassed
- Endymion - Glassed
- Erebus VII - Unknown status, possibly abandoned
- Far Isle - Unknown status
- Forseti - Still held
- Fumirole - Attacked, unknown status
- Gilgamesh - Unknown status
- Hellas - Unknown status
- Imber - Attacked, unknown status
- Juneou - Unknown status
- Kholo - Glassed
- Lenapi - Still held
- Lodestone - Unknown status
- Mamore - Still held
- Minister - Still held
- Miridem - Attacked, most likely glassed
- New Constantinople - Glassed
- New Harmony - Unsuccessfully attacked by Covenant
- Oasis VI - Unknown status
- Paradise Falls - Unknown status
- Reynes - Glassed
- Ruthersburg - Unknown status
- Sansar - Glassed
- Sargasso - Attacked, unknown status
- Terceira - Still held
- Venezia - Insurrectionist-controlled as of 2553
- Verent - Unknown status
- Verge - Attacked, strip-mined by Covenant for helium-3
Information suggests that at least some nations on Earth and other planetary bodies still exist and probably maintained their independence at least partially despite the global unification that was performed by the United Nations and Unified Earth Government in the 22nd century during the Interplanetary War. However, these may have just been administrative divisions, or they may have retained some form of self-government while being in the UEG. At one point all of these were annexed into the UEG.
Colonial Administration AuthorityEdit
- Main article: Colonial Administration Authority
The Colonial Administration Authority is the branch that administers the various colonies that belong to the UEG, incorporating the UNSCDF. It keeps extensive files on every colony world and city under the UEG, available to UNSC members for planning missions. The CAA became mostly defunct as the UNSC took control of most of its assets and influence.
United Nations Space CommandEdit
- Main article: United Nations Space Command
The UNSC is the UEG's primary defense force, intended to protect innocent colonists and colony worlds from attack by privateers, Insurrectionists and other unknown threats at the time, such as the Covenant. It includes various special forces, and Militia organizations, but is mainly comprised of the Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Army. It is also the UEG's main exploratory and scientific arm.
- Main article: United Nations
Even though it originally formed the UEG, the United Nations has been absorbed into a branch of the Earth government by the 26th century. Its exact function or role is unclear, but it is assumed that it still exists in the same manner as it was originally created.
The UEG uses the United Nations Credit monetary unit to organize its economical stability by selling or buying military equipment, supplies and costs for shipping, etc. The UN Credit was implemented by the United Nations as a universal currency some time before its dissolution and replacement with the Unified Earth Government in 2164. For transporting food and raw materials between colonies, the UEG maintains a merchant navy, run by the Department of Commercial Shipping.
- Both the Unified Earth Government and the United Nations Space Command are references to the human government (United Earth Government) and military (United Earth Space Council), respectively, from Bungie's Marathon series.