Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Type-52 Special Applications Rifle (T52 SAR), more commonly known as the Focus Rifle is a Directed Energy Weapon used by the Covenant Empire. The earliest known sighting was during the Battle of Reach in August 2552. Seemingly it was replaced by the Beam Rifle but Jul 'Mdama's Covenant appears to have scavenged some for their use after the war.
The Focus Rifle is a Covenant sniper-style weapon, that, despite its visual similarities to the Type-50 Sniper Rifle System, functions quite differently from its counterpart. It fires a continuous orange-tinted beam, similar in operation to a Sentinel Beam. The weapon is believed to be battery-powered, though the exact mechanism by which it functions is currently under investigation by the UNSC.
The beam will take approximately 1.5 seconds to kill a fully shielded Spartan, and is designed to emphasize more of a "tracking" skill set than other weapons because this weapon, being a sniper variant, does not feature any aim assist to compensate for its power. It is designed for ranged suppression rather than instant death, and is considered a power weapon. Its appearance and reticle is very similar to that of the Beam Rifle, with a 5-10x magnification scope. Unlike its counterpart, it sports a thermal-imaging screen on the top, much like the UNSC Sniper Rifle, but it just appears to be purely cosmetic, as it has very little use in gameplay.
- It has relatively low damage compared to the UNSC Sniper Rifle, and it is quite visible and audible when firing. Despite this, if a target is unaware or caught in the open they are very easy targets.
- Despite being known as a Sniper Weapon, you can not get a Sniper Headshot medal with the Focus Rifle.
- This and the Plasma Repeater are the only Covenant weapons to do more damage to health than to shielding.
- In Forge, turning into the Monitor will sometimes show the icon of a Focus Rifle. The game may have originally meant to make it so Monitors could fire, like a Sentinel Beam, but it was cut from the final game.
- It has much shorter range than the Sniper Rifle. The beam stops after a certain distance.
- When shooting at the head, the other player's vision is mostly covered by the beam.