|This article may not meet Halo Nation's standards. You can help by cleaning this article.|
|This article is in need of more images and/or better quality pictures in order to achieve a higher status. You can help Halo Nation by uploading better images on this page.|
- “Saw those Spartans use the Elite's tricks against 'em. Turn on the active camouflage, get all invisible, and stab them right between the ribs.”— Private Eric Salucci
The Type-3 Refraction Dissonance Modifier/Camouflage, also known as Active Camouflage, is an Armor Ability featured in Halo: Reach, Halo 4, and Halo: Spartan Assault. Acquired during the early years of the Human-Covenant War, it is a refraction dissonance modifier that effectively bends light around the surface of a structure, masking its presence through advanced pattern realignment.
Active Camouflage is powerful ability which allows players to blend light, turning them invisible to opponent's eyes similar to Halo 3's Cloaking and Active camouflage. Once activated, it turns the user invisible allowing them to sneak around an opponent without being noticed, allowing the user to assassinate opponents from behind. This armor ability includes a built-in Radar Jammer function, causing the user to see many nonexistent enemies on their Radar system. This ability is useful for stealth operations.
- Active Camo makes you nearly invisible to a players eye. This allows the user to either assassinate unexpected opponents or escape and hide from opponents temporarily. It is also used to create ambushes and surprised targets as well.
- Active Camo activates a Radar Jammer effect which create numerous red dots around opponent radar thus disorienting them. In Halo 4, the effect is slightly decreased creating numerous blue dots instead of red but it still allow the user to disorient opponents, since active camo puts the user in one of the blue dots instead of a red dot in the radar.
- Active Camo is useful in either CQB or Snipers. Snipers with Active Camo are extremely powerful, allowing the user to snipe the target while staying invisible to other players while CQB with Active Camouflage allows the user to prepare for ambush when enemy is near dealing fatal kill when unnoticed.
- Active Camo is ultimately the best in a match where no radar is used. This will make Active Camo very powerful as it difficult to detect camouflaged players without any radar.
- Unlike the Multiplayer Active camouflage, the user can have control on Active Camo ability thus making it much more effective, as it allows for use in the most opportune situations, instead of restricting the player to activate it on pickup.
- Active Camo greatly reduces the volume of all sounds for its user, making it difficult to notice a grenade being thrown or a nearby enemy firing a weapon.
- In Halo 4, Active Camo recovers slowly, but it could be used when the energy is around 1/3 but the invisibility is shortened. An AA efficiency upgrade will reduce the cooldown slightly.
- Active Camo restrict the users movement. The user must move slowly (crouch-walking speed) to prevent the Active Camo fading as the player moves quickly and drains the amount of Active Camo faster.
- The Radar Jammer effect is a Double-edged sword. While it disorients the opponent, it can also reveal the opponent that someone is using an Active Camo in battle, making them more aware or staying away.
- Although pervasive among specific Sangheili units, it has seen extensive use among Spartans of all classes.
- In Halo 4, should you use the ability while your shields are recharging, you will be seen due to the recharge process. Also when using the ability, should you be near an explosions smoke (grenade, rocket turret, etc), your cloaking outline can be seen, giving your position away.
- Active Camouflage is the first armor ability in the campaign for Halo 4, followed shortly by the Hardlight Shield. In the level Requiem, Active Camouflage is obtained from a cloaked Sangheili Zealot at the top of the structure containing the Cartographer. There is also another Active Camouflage module for a second player in co-op play on the ground near the Cartographer console inside the structure itself.
- The Radar Jammer function of the Camo in Halo 4 is slightly inferior to it's Halo: Reach version. Instead of red dots that could easily confuse an enemy, the blue dots serve to reveal the user's proximal location.