For the atmospheric propulsion pack, see Jetpack.
For the armor ability , see M805X Forward Acceleration System/Fulcrum Mitigating.
Designed for long-range deep-space operations, M-050978 thruster packs are still some of the riskiest equipment available. They feature triple redundancy NAV systems and stabilizers. Thruster packs contain two tanks of compressed Triamino Hydrazine, which, if ruptured, would cause rapid loss of control, for which there is little a person can do. They can also be linked up to weapons such as MA5B assault rifles. If the wearer fires the weapon, the pack will provide enough counter thrust to keep the wearer from spinning out of control. Thruster packs also contain emergency rescue lines of orange and white rope meant to rescue other people who are stranded in deep space. They are essentially a less advanced and effective version of the Covenant antigravity packs. Chief Mendez trained the Spartan-IIs with this type of equipment but warned them if one thing goes wrong there's no chance of being rescued.
- Thruster packs also appear to be adversely affected by radiation; if they come into proximity with unshielded radiation, they will fail. They will also fail and cause similar results if struck by weaponry.
- They have also caused the disappearance of two SPARTAN-II supersoldiers. One (Unit Serial:
82.10923.192) was worn by Kurt-051 in 2531 on a mission in the Groombridge 34 system. It failed when it came into contact with radiation, causing him to spin out of control Another, worn by James-005 during the Fall of Reach, exploded when hit with projectiles from a Needler, causing him to spin out of control and subsequently lose contact.
- The EVA armor supports the use of T-PACKS.
- John-117 can be seen using a thruster-pack - seemingly built into his armor - to maneuver inside the disintegrating UNSC Forward Unto Dawn, in the Halo 4 teaser (revealed at E3 2011).
- During the campaign, he uses it to board a Lich.