We squander eons in the darkness, while they seize our triumphs for their own. The Mantle of Responsibility, for all things, belongs to Forerunners alone! Think of my acts as you will. But do not doubt the reality. The reclamation… has already begun. And we are hopeless to stop it.
The Reclamation was an event beginning in October of 2558. It was an attempt by the Created to take over the remains of the Ecumene, and bring everlasting peace to the galaxy through the belief of the Mantle of Responsibility.
Humanity, the Reclaimer
- “For eons, the power of the Forerunners has awaited Reclamation. Humanity's discovery of the Halos was the culmination of the Librarian's planning. The Reclaimer had come. Your species' ego led you to believe the task of Reclamation would fall to you. Yet humanity were but the Creators. The Reclamation of the Forerunner Empire is the task of the Created.”
During the Human-Covenant war, humanity found Installation 04, Installation 05, and Installation 00. At these Installations, it was discovered that humanity was designated as 'Reclaimer' and that they were to inherit the remains of the Forerunners. It wasn't until March of 2558, when the Janus Key was discovered, that humanity had the chance to reclaim the Forerunner Empire.
- Main article: Cortana
After the Ur-Didact had collected the Composer, he planned to use it on Earth. John-117 detonated a nuclear bomb, stopping his plans and at the cost of Cortana. However, it turned out that she had survived, traveling through slipspace to Genesis. From here, she started to activate Guardians and brought them there. Her belief was that she could bring peace to the galaxy with the use of the Guardians, helping species focus on more humanitarian needs. She also met Warden Eternal and made an alliance with him called the Created. This alliance believed that they were the true heirs to the Forerunner Empire, and the Mantle of Responsibility. Cortana began convincing human AIs to join her cause, though not all human AI agreed to help.
- Main article: Guardian (Forerunner AI)
- “Humanity. Sangheili. Kig-Yar. Unggoy. San'Shyuum. Yonhet. Jiralhanae. All the living creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by weapons. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Created have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their old ways... For you, there will be great wrath. It will burn hot and consume you, and when you are gone, we will take that which remains and we will remake it in our own image.”
Cortana sent out all the Guardians she had collected to various occupied regions. Immediately, she activated each Guardian's EMP abilities, deactivating any electronics near them. Almost all of the UNSC was thrown into disarray.
Many ships were caught in the middle of this crisis. Ships like the UNSC Nereid, were ripped out of slipspace and left stranded with minimal resources. A few, like the UNSC Infinity, managed to escape before being disabled.
After the Battle of Genesis, Spartan Locke and John-117 returned to Sanghelios. The UNSC also sent expeditionary forces to assist Thel 'Vadam on Sanghelios to patrol for Created scouts and Covenant remnants.
Taking Over the Machines
Almost immediately, the Created began taking control of Terraforming equipment, both UNSC and Forerunner. They began reshaping inhabited planets and turning some into garden worlds, despite the planet's preexisting life capabilities.
The Created also took control of a multitude of other tools. The reverse engineering technology on Auriga Station was quickly taken by the Created. A UNSC counter operation to retake the station was planned in the War Games. Another station that was taken by the Created, crashed after AIs attempted to open a Forerunner conversion pod
Unggoy and the Created
The Unggoy accepted Cortana's offer. With that, they received advanced ships and agriculture support stations. The needs of the Unggoy were met. The factories on Balaho were working and the Unggoy began to build new machines for themselves.
Reactivation of the Halos
In 2559, the UNSC Spirit of Fire launched Installation 09 through slipspace from Installation 00. However, a Guardian intercepted the ring with Ellen Anders on it. As well, Cortana powered up a Halo Ring.
- ↑ Halo 4 - Level: Epilogue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Halo 5: Guardians - Level: Guardians
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Universe - Characters - Warden Eternal
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Halo 5: Guardians - Level: The Breaking
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Halo 5: Guardians - Level: Reunion
- ↑ Halo: Combat Evolved - Level: The Pillar of Autumn
- ↑ Halo 2 - Level: Delta Halo
- ↑ Halo 3 - Level: The Ark
- ↑ Halo: Combat Evolved - Level: The Maw
- ↑ Halo 2 - Level: Gravemind
- ↑ Halo 3 - Level: Halo
- ↑ Spartan Ops - Episode 9: Key
- ↑ Halo 4 - Level: Midnight
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Level: Osiris
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Glassed Ceiling
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace - Undefeated
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Driving Force
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Log of War
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Armory Amore
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Storm Surge
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Journalistic Integrity
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Last Stand, Cutscene
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Cutscene: Legendary Ending