The Maw (Chronologically)
For failure such as this, no punishment is too great.
Scene begins with a Golden Lich flying through the sky. The scene changes to an interior shot, where a Sangheili solder is conversing with Jameson Locke.
- Sangheili: I do not trust you. (Turns his head slightly towards an off-screen individual, then back towards Locke) He may, but I do not.
- Agent Locke: (Nonchalantly) Noted.
- Sangheili: (Growls softly, insulted)
- Thel 'Vadam: (Walks into frame) My friend's trust is not the issue today Spartan Locke. (The Sangheili soldier walks away, still giving Locke a spiteful look) It is my trust you must earn.
- Agent Locke: Arbiter?
- Thel 'Vadam: (Surveys the holographic image of the unnamed Forerunner construct) You are a hunter, yes? A seeker of things?
- Agent Locke: That's not the official job title, but it's close enough.
- Thel 'Vadam: (Turns back to Locke) And now you hunt other Spartans?
- Agent Locke: I'm not so much hunting a Spartan, as I'm hunting the Spartan.
Locke then takes out a storage device and projects a holographic image of John-117 from it. Thel recognizes it immediately.
- Thel 'Vadam: (In shock) You seek...
- Agent Locke: 117.
- Thel 'Vadam: (Slightly suspicious) I was not told the identity of your prey.
- Agent Locke: That is why I'm sharing this with you now, we're talking about trust after all... (Looks at Thel's fellow brethren and back at Thel) May I ask you something? Your people used to call him demon. Was that an insult or a compliment?
- Thel 'Vadam: An insult to be sure, but one with a modicum of respect. He was indeed my enemy, but in time I named him ally, even friend. The events that forged this bond were... complicated.
One Size Fits AllEdit
An Assault Carrier flies by. The camera pans with it to a giant Covenant structure.
Close up of High Charity. Hundreds of Covenant ships swarm around it.
Fade to a ledge across from tiers of stadium-like seats; several Banshees patrol around it. The camera slowly zooms toward a door on the back of the ledge. A voice is heard:
Fade in to the Council Chamber. Rows of Honor Guard Elites stand at attention on the path leading to the end, where a single Sanghelli Zealot stands facing two High Prophets, explaining past events to them.
- Prophet of Truth: "One? Are you sure?"
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "Yes. They called it the Pillar of Autumn."
- Prophet of Mercy: "Why was it not destroyed, with the rest of their fleet?"
(Flashback): The Pillar of Autumn flees Reach as Covenant ships glass it.
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "But I followed with all the ships in my command."
- Prophet of Regret: "When you first saw Halo, were you blinded by its majesty?"
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "Blinded?"
- Prophet of Regret: "Paralyzed? Dumbstruck?"
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "No..."
It is revealed that the Prophet of Regret is not actually present, but rather speaking through a holographic image of himself. Next to him is the Prophet of Mercy, who is entirely present.
- Prophet of Regret: (angrily) "Yet the humans were able to evade your ships, land on the Sacred Ring, and desecrate it with their filthy footsteps!"
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "Noble Hierarchs, surely you understand that once the parasite attacked-"
The Council members mutter angrily. Vadamee looks around at them.
- Prophet of Mercy: (bangs his fist down on his chair) "There will be order in this Council!"
The Prophet of Truth moves forward on his chair and raises his hand. The room falls into complete silence.
- Prophet of Truth: "You were right to focus your attention on the Flood. But this Demon, this 'Master Chief...'"
(Flashback): The destruction of Halo.
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "By the time I learned the Demon's intent, there was nothing I could do."
The San 'Shyuum Councilors stand up and yell angrily. Sangheili Councilors glance and mutter to each other. Jiralhanae Chieftain Tartarus, standing nearby with arms crossed, chuckles audiably to himself.
- Prophet of Regret: (whispering to Truth) "Noble Prophet of Truth, this has gone on long enough. Make an example of this bungler. The Council demands it!"
Truth holds up a hand, silencing Regret.
- Prophet of Truth: (to 'Vadamee) "You are one of our most treasured instruments. Long have you led your fleet with honor and distinction. But your inability to safeguard Halo was a colossal failure."
- Prophet of Objection: (Stands up and shows a fist) "Nay, it was heresy!"
The Councilors yell. 'Vadamee looks back and forth between them.
- Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee: "I will continue my campaign against the humans!"
- Prophet of Truth: "No, you will not."
- Prophet of Truth: "Soon, the Great Journey shall begin. But when it does, the weight of your heresy will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind."
View fades to a new background. The circular ornament on the Prophet of Truth's headpiece is replaced by Earth's moon. The view then pans to a view of Earth itself, focusing on three MAC stations in orbit. A few UNSC ships fly past.
Cut to a close-up of the nearest platform, Cairo.
- Master Gunnery Sergeant: "Your plating was about to fail. There's viscosity throughout the gel layer."
Cut to the armory of Cairo Station. The UNSC officer handles equipment on a table.
- Master Gunnery Sergeant: "Optics? Totally fried. And let's not even talk about the power supply."
The view shows the Chief's new helmet on the table .
- Master Gunnery Sergeant: "You know how expensive this gear is, son?"
The view pans up the Chief's body, showing off his new armor. He fits his helmet into place just in time to block the view of his face. The helmet hisses and clicks when put on, then shortly stops.
- John-117: "Tell that to the Covenant."
- UNSC Pillar of Autumn is represented by a Marathon-class heavy cruiser model despite that it is a Halcyon-class light cruiser.
- By using modding tools, it is possible to see John-117 hidden behind one of the pillars above the Sangheili Councilors. This is because Bungie needed to place an avatar somewhere in the map in order to make the level "playable."
- Near the conclusion of the cutscene, a glitch causes Thel 'Vadamee's helmet to create a bursting graphic texture. Joseph Staten stated that they were unable to fix the bug.
- This level is not available in cooperative play.
Halo 2: AnniversaryEdit