|This article may not meet Halo Nation's standards. You can help by cleaning this article.|
Spartan Ops is the Halo 4 Cooperative Mode which succeeds Firefight from Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. It supports a maximum of 4 players and ties into the SPARTAN-IV Program and the Campaign of Halo 4.
Spartan Ops mainly revolves around Fireteam Crimson, a team of SPARTAN-IVs deployed on the shield world Requiem. The Covenant Remnant and the Prometheans are encountered in Spartan Ops. Spartan Ops requires an Xbox Live Gold Membership to play.
Spartan Ops is an episodic co-operative series, taking place six months after the end of Halo 4's campaign. Seasons are made up of ten Episodes, containing five Chapters each, for a total of 50 Chapters per Season. Episodes were released in free weekly DLCs. Each Episode contains a short CGI movie, further explaining the story. Your customised loadouts are available for each Spartan Ops mission, and playing will increase your rank and earn you Spartan Points, unlike the Campaign. You work as part of a team of Spartan IVs known as Fireteam Crimson and perform various types of objectives, including eliminating all enemies, destroying key targets or activating consoles to progress. When it is finished, you are extracted by Pelican in most episodes. You then gain your Rewards and move on to the next Spartan Ops mission.
Storyline on the ground.Edit
Season 1 Part 1Edit
In February 2558, SPARTAN-IV Fireteam Majestic along with several other Spartan IV teams arrive onboard UNSC Infinity, which departs for Requiem. Once there, Infinity engaged in combat with the Storm Covenant fleet, and deployed ground forces, including Fireteams Castle, Majestic, Domino, Ivy and Crimson as well as detachments of Marine, Army and Navy forces on the planet. Fireteam Crimson ran through a series of search and destroy, rescue, artifact recovery, extraction and assassination ops. SPARTAN Jared Miller was responsible for Crimson's ops with Spartan Robert Dalton in charge of ordnance, airstrikes and extraction. Commander Sarah Palmer occasionally stepped in as she deemed Crimson to be the squad of choice to deploy into the most dangerous ops. Before being extracted from their op, a large detachment of the Covenant Remnant forces including a Covenant cruiser, Banshees and several Phantoms surrounded Crimson and captured them, taking them to an unexplored Forerunner structure.
Season 1 Part 2Edit
Set sometime after Part 1, Spartan IV Fireteam Crimson are held prisoner by the Covenant Remnant. SPARTAN Miller and UNSC Infinity's AI Roland manage to track Crimson's location. SPARTAN Robert Dalton orders a diversionary airstrike allowing Crimson to break free and kill their captors. During their escape they meet with MIA Icebreaker squad led by Lieutenant TJ Murphy who hacks an enemy Phantom allowing Crimson and Icebreaker to escape. Crimson then participate in Ops far beyond enemy lines due to the Covenant Remnant believing the captured Phantom to still be one of theirs. Crimson is then directed to sabotage and gather intelligence similar to what they were usually assigned before their capture.
Storyline aboard the InfinityEdit
Season 1 Episode 1Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Departure
In February 2558, 6 months after John-117 defeated the Didact, UNSC Infinity, led by Captain Lasky, recalls all their SPARTAN-IVs for deployment on the Forerunner world Requiem. Fireteam Majestic is met by Infinity's AI Roland and abruptly becomes aware of their new Commanding Officer before being led to their living quarters. Infinity engages the Covenant Remnant Fleet straight out of Slipspace deploying frigates and SPARTAN teams into Requiem.
Season 1 Episode 2Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Artifact
After the recovery of a Forerunner Artifact by Fireteam Crimson, upon transporting the artifact, it activates creating a scan of Infinity's systems causing a loss in most of the power and gravity. The Infinity began falling into Requiem's opening until Commander Sarah Palmer uses 'physical persuasion' on the artifact granting power to the Infinity and its engines. Dr. Glassman inspects the artifact only to be pulled into it shortly after.
Season 1 Episode 3Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Catherine
Season 1 Episode 4Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Didact's Hand
Season 1 Episode 5Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Memento Mori
Season 1 Episode 6Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Scattered
Season 1 Episode 7Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Invasion
Season 1 Episode 8Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Expendable
Season 1 Episode 9Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Key
Season 1 Episode 10Edit
- Main article: Spartan Ops/Season One/Exodus
- The events of Spartan Ops take place 6 months after the events of the Halo 4 campaign.
- By completing all the Chapters from Departure on Legendary, the achievement A Legendary Episode is unlocked.
- Different Missions in each of the Episodes have a Red vs. Blue audio easter egg that can be activated by shooting a hidden radio. Shooting the radio also results in the beginning tune of "Intro" from the album Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue by Trocadero. This track is the Red vs. Blue opening theme song. When a player activates one of these Easter Eggs, they will be rewarded with the Roses Vs. Violets achievement.
- The in-game dialogue doesn't change if the player is playing solo or in a party.
- A number of the maps in Spartan Ops are reused maps from the Campaign or War Games.
- Spartan Ops Season 1: Episodes 1-5 are already loaded in the Halo 4 game, while Season 1: Episodes 6-10 were released as DLC (downloadable content). The latter can be downloaded for free off of the Xbox Live Marketplace.
- In episodes where Crimson is extracted by a Pelican, if the player has a jet pack equipped and flies up to the bay of the Pelican, an option to board it will appear. If accepted, the player will be inside the poorly textured Pelican.
- Also, when you enter the pelican, if you hold the "action button" (ex. X), you will 'exit' the Pelican but will still be inside of it. If you walk towards the front, you will be given the option to operate the Pelicans turret but are only limited to look left and right, but still able to shoot the turret.
- The armor that is featured in the Champions Bundle will not appear on your SPARTAN-IV during any missions of Spartan Ops.
Known Spartan Ops MissionsEdit