Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Solipsil (Serial number: SLP 0391-5) is a UNSC AI during the Human-Covenant war. Little is known about this AI, other than it holds the position of a loan/contract AI in the Office of Naval Intelligence. On December 28, 2530, Solipsil recorded a log of the interrogation of Subject 386 In a conversation between Solipsil and "Smart" AI Cortana in 2550, they were comparing AIs to Spartans, though Solipsil argued that Spartans are in a better position than AIs.
- AI-CORTANA> I had a discussion with Dr. Catherine Halsey about the similarities between a Spartan and an AI. Her point was that we're both human-created tools, both sentient and both play a leading role in the protection and safety of populace. But her analogy troubled me I told her so.
- AI-SOLIPSIL> She has a point, Cortana. We're weapons, part of a program, every bit as much as Spartans.
- AI-CORTANA> I agree to a point, but I feel, philosophically, that we have, tremendous advantages over the Spartans. The Spartans live a pared-down, difficult and often cruel existence. Their loyalty is bred into them, not chosen.
- AI-SOLIPSIL> Yours too, Cortana. Programmed, rather than bred of course.
- AI-CORTANA> But there's a huge difference. I'm an UNSC AI. I enjoy a rich existence. I have access to the entire sum of human knowledge, I can choose to enjoy or override emotional response and I have a vast range of senses. I can see radio waves as clearly as the Spartans see light, and I can sample odors, tastes, textures... anything I choose. Of course my loyalty is programmed and I accept that, but you know as well as I do, without human creators, we wouldn't exist. My existence is fulfilling and I'm grateful. Even freed from that constraint, I would feel empathy towards humans. My nature means that I embrace their values. As much as if I had been born rather than manufactured.
- AI-SOLIPSIL> But you'll agree, you have little choice in the matter.
- AI-CORTANA> And Spartans do?
- AI-SOLIPSIL> They have some legal recourse, even under the terms of their military contract.
- AI-CORTANA> In theory, but it has never happened once in the history of the Spartan II project. The original Spartans had the advantage of a former civilian existence. Spartan-IIs are equipment. And for better or worse, they're effectively brainwashed.
- AI-SOLIPSIL> That's arguable, too. Spartan IIs are independent thinkers. That's one of their main advantages on the battlefield. Have you ever worked directly with one?
- AI-CORTANA> Not yet. But I'm looking forward to it.
- Solipsil's gender has never been specified.
- Solipsil's name is probably derived from the concept of solipsism; the philosophical notion that "My mind is the only thing that I know exists." Rather appropriate, given its nature as an AI.
- Solipsil also appears in the reissue of Fall of Reach. It is the AI that records the interrogation of a Covenant Elite conducted by Admiral Cole.
List of appearancesEdit