- “Robt McLees is definitely the go-to guy for the gun stuff. I wanted to come up with an animation for the sniper scope, an 'idle cycle'. If you activate the scope, and then sit too long without doing anything, the animation would kick in periodically, just to keep things interesting... Simple, right?... He replied, 'No way. If you adjust your scope in the field, you're dead. Snipers don't do that. That's how detailed his weapon designs are -- not just guns, but how they work, and how a sniper would fire them. Amazing.”—William O'Brien, commenting on McLees' weapon designs
Robert McLees, or known to many as Robt McLees is a writer and the keeper of the Halo Story Bible at Bungie. He has formerly worked as an artist and weapons designer. His main job for Halo 2 was designing weapons. He understood what every single button, knob, or tab on a weapon would work and function. However, he has switched away from art and has mainly written for Halo 3.
- In Halo: The Fall of Reach, there was a person known as Dr. Robert McLees mentioned by Cortana who designed the structural system created for the Pillar of Autumn and who also was the co-founder of the Reyes-McLees Shipyards over Mars in 2510. This is an obvious reference to the real Robert McLees.
- "About the Authors" in Halo: Evolutions states: "If you give Robt a bite of your pizza, he'll ask for a beer. And when you get back from grabbing a beer from the fridge, like half the damned pizza is gone! WTF, Rob?!?"
- Dr. Robert McLees - A Halo character named after Robert McLees.
- Lorraine McLees, spouse of Robert McLees.