|There is more information available on this subject at Reproduction on the English Wikipedia.|
Reproduction is the process by which new individual organisms are produced. Reproduction is a fundamental feature of all known life; each individual organism exists as the result of reproduction.
San'Shyuum have both male and female genders and give live birth. Their reproduction is a strictly controlled affair though, considering the extremely limited gene pool, and individuals with undesirable genomes are added to the Roll of Celibates and forbidden to produce offspring to prevent negative recessive traits from entering the San'Shyuum gene pool. This does not prevent them from engaging in intercourse, however, and concubines are kept by high-ranking Prophets for this purpose. Illegal reproduction can result in the death of the unwanted child and sterilization of the guilty parent, even for a Hierarch.
During sexual intercourse, San'Shyuum tend to wrap their necks around each other as a form of sexual foreplay. Similar to humans, the San'Shyuum are experience heavy breathing during such intimate moments.
Huragok lack genders as understood by other species. Instead, two or even three Huragok work in unison to create a child, born of equal parts of the parents, sharing some memories and personality traits. Although it is not true biological reproduction because Huragok are artificial in origin and rely on microscopic nano-machinery to create new individuals, it still results in the creation of a new life.
The Flood reproduce similar to that of a flower spreading pollen. The carrier forms produce spores and infection forms. Once a Carrier form reaches the end of its lifespan, it explodes releasing the spores and infection forms. These infection forms go on to spread further flood infection, ultimately creating more Carrier forms to repeat the cycle. Furthermore, there are Flood Hives that produce spores and Flood growth pods along its biomass walls. These growth pods incubate new Flood life. They explode upon hatching, releasing more infection forms.
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest - page ??
- ↑ Halo: Broken Circle - page 58 "She had come closer and he could not keep from twining his neck with hers, nipping at the feminine hump on her back, just under her lock neck. 'Oh you scamper-sneak!' she chided, returning tease for teasing."
- ↑ Halo: Broken Circle - page 58 "He drew back and, so breathless he could scarcely speak, looked into her large green-brown eyes."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Halo 3 Limited Collector's Edition - Bonus Item: Bestiarum
- ↑ Halo 3: ODST - Level: Data Hive
- ↑ Halo 2 - Level: The Heretic
- ↑ Halo: Broken Circle - page 76