Arcadia was colonized by three Phoenix-class ships.
The UNSC Skidbladnir was the Phoenix-class colony ship which colonized Harvest. The Skidbladnir's fusion reactor was used to power the first settlement, Utgard and its data processing storage housing the Agricultural Operations AI, Mack was also utilized. The ship's AI, Loki, became the Planetary Security Intelligence, sharing a core with Mack, covertly monitoring the colony for trouble for the UNSC. Whether this was a common fate for colony ships during the colonization of other worlds is unknown.
One of the most famous of the Phoenix's was the UNSC Spirit of Fire. The ship was converted into a warship and participated in the Harvest Campaign, Battle of Arcadia, Battle of Shield 0459 and finally, after 28 years adrift, the second Battle of Installation 00.
Despite their age, Phoenix-class ships were still in use during the post-war period.
The Phoenix-class colony ships were designed to transport thousands of colonists from Earth, or one of the other Inner Colonies, as well as terraforming equipment to alter the existing atmosphere and/or biosphere to become compatible with human habitation. Once the terraforming is completed, the colonists settle the planet. On at least one instance, a colony ship was decommissioned to aid in the development of a colony.
The Phoenix-class colony ship, has been modified into warships such as with the UNSC Spirit of Fire. This new variant is designated as a Phoenix-class carrier. The refitted ships carry vehicles, troops, and supplies as support for ground forces. It also carries the resources necessary to build bases.
Once converted, a Phoenix-class colony ship can become an extremely effective troop transport and orbital support ship, carrying about 6000 UNSC Marines, significant amount of vital supplies and equipment, and, if equipped with a Magnetic Accelerator Cannon during conversion, is able to attack ground targets from orbit in support of ground operations. It can also use Pelican and Albatross dropships and Pods to deploy ground forces and establish bases of operation. It is even able to participate in atmosphere to a degree. However, despite the conversion of the Phoenix-class from a colony transport ship to a warship, it is still underpowered as far as most warships go; the superstructure of UNSC Spirit of Fire is vulnerable to light pulse laser fire, and despite the addition of armor plating, the outer edges of the hull were ripped away when the ship collided with a Covenant destroyer of about the same size. The Magnetic Accelerator Cannon can fire multiple times consecutively, but each round is less powerful than the cannons used by other UNSC warships.
As part of a carrier recommission, the Phoenix-class can have:
- Three 22B6R MACs
- 10 11A2R1 naval coilgun batteries
- 24 M42 Archer Missile Pods
- 40 M800 Rampart point defense guns
Ships of the LineEdit
- UNSC Spirit of Fire - Labeled Missing In Action (MIA) on February 10, 2534.
- UNSC Skidbladnir - Scrapped for materials during the colonization of Harvest.
- The Phoenix was a mythological bird which would be reborn at the end of its lifetime; in a similar fashion, the Phoenix-class colony ship would be decommissioned and stripped down upon colonizing a planet, the ship's materials "giving birth" to a new colony.
- The name Phoenix may be a reference to Bungie's canceled game of the same name, or, more likely, the name is derived from an Ensemble prototype which pitched humans against invading Martians in a War of the Worlds style, which was titled Phoenix.
- Halo Wars
- Halo Wars: Genesis (First appearance)
- Halo: Contact Harvest (Mentioned only)
- Halo Legends
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo Wars 2
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Halo: Warfleet – An Illustrated Guide to the Spacecraft of Halo - Pages 48 & 49
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Gamespy Australia - Interview with Graeme Devine
- ↑ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 188
- ↑ Spartan Games: Halo: Fleet Battles - UNSC - UNSC Phoenix-Class Colonial Support Vessel
- ↑ Halo Legends - Origins
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Halo: Contact Harvest, page 183
- ↑ Halo Wars - Levels: Alpha Base to Relic Interior
- ↑ Halo Wars - Levels: Arcadia City to Scarab
- ↑ Halo Wars - Levels: Anders' Signal to Escape
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Levels: The Signal to Last Stand
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - In the Loop
- ↑ Halo Wars - Level: Shield World
- ↑ Halo Wars - Level: Repairs
- ↑ Ensemble Studios Last Tours