|This article may not meet Halo Nation's standards. You can help by cleaning this article.|
|There is more information available on this subject at Nuclear weapon on the English Wikipedia.|
A nuclear weapon is a type of ordnance using nuclear fission and/or fusion as a source of energy. The yield of a nuclear weapon is measured in the number of tons of "TNT" needed to generate an explosion of similar proportions.
An operational idiosyncrasy of nuclear weapons was the result of containing fissile material. Fissile material emitted a readily detectable Čerenkov Radiation signature upon exiting slipspace that negated stealth measures, NOT to be confused with the atomic bomb.
For Reference Edit
The nuclear yields of three real-world atomic weapons are shown:
"Fat Man" Atom Bomb (Last nuclear device used in war, 1945): ~21 Kilotons TNT
Mk. 17 Hydrogen Bomb (Largest-yield US nuclear device, mid-1950s): 25 Megatons TNT
Tsar Bomba/Emperor Bomb (Most powerful nuclear weapon ever tested, 1961): 50 Megatons TNT
UNSC Nuclear OrdnanceEdit
The UNSC employs a range of nuclear ordnance.
FENRIS Nuclear WarheadEdit
- Main article: FENRIS Nuclear Warhead
Medium Fusion Destructive DeviceEdit
- Main article: Medium Fusion Destructive Device
The MFDD is a tactical nuclear device with a yield of approximately 15 kilotons. Due to their apparent similarities, the MFDD may actually be related to the Fury nuke.
Fury Tactical Nuclear WeaponEdit
- Main article: Fury Tactical Nuclear Weapon
The Fury is a rugby ball-sized device with a yield slightly less than a megaton. It is extremely clean. It is the "closest thing the UNSC has to a nuclear grenade."
HAVOK Nuclear WarheadEdit
- Main article: HAVOK Nuclear Warhead
The HAVOK is a 30 megaton thermonuclear device. Its warhead may be removed and carried by a F-41 Exoatmospheric Multirole Strike Fighter. Some were delivered by ground forces during the Human-Covenant War. It saw continued service in the Post-war era.
- Main article: HORNET Mine
- Main article: NOVA Bomb
The NOVA is a strategic device, and undoubtedly humanity's most powerful weapon. It consists of 9 nuclear warheads encased in a lithium triteride shell, which is compressed during detonation, boosting the yield "a hundred-fold." A single NOVA has enough power to cause complete devastation on a planetary scale, and can destroy orbiting moons and Naval fleets.
Shiva-class Nuclear MissileEdit
- Main article: Shiva-class Nuclear Missile
Jiralhanae Nuclear OrdnanceEdit
While no specific iterations are mentioned by name, the Jiralhanae are known to have nearly obliterated all life on Doisac with nuclear weaponry during a pre-Covenant conflict.
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, Chapter 22, page ??
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, Chapter 1, page ??
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, Chapter 23, page ??
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, Chapter 24, page ??
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, Chapter 39, page ??
- ↑ Halo: Reach: Deliver Hope trailer
- ↑ Halo: First Strike, Chapter 1, page ??
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 200
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 212
- ↑ Halo Wars: Genesis, page 17
- ↑ Halo 4, Composer
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 325
- ↑ Halo: First Strike, page 180
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 244
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach, pages 147, 322-324
- ↑ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page ??
- ↑ Halo Encyclopedia, page ??