Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A navigation computer, sometimes abbreviated NAV computer or NAVCOM, is a device used to coordinate slipstream space jumps and plot courses or steer ships at sublight speeds. While ships often have human crews, NAV computers or AIs are essential in making the complex calculations involved in astrogation, the process of coordinating a slipspace jump. They can also control unmanned vessels, such as freighters, entirely by themselves. As they possess only a fraction of the computational capability of an AI, NAV computers are generally inexpensive. To successfully perform jumps, NAV computers require the coordinates of the intended destination and other related data, which is often in the form of a navigation database.
While the Covenant have a ban on more advanced AI systems, onboard computers are in common use. Sometimes referred to as the ships' "spirits", they generally operate the intricate systems required in glassing operations and presumably make the necessary calculations for Slipspace jumps.
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 96
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole", page 438
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 23
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "The Return", page 496
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "The Return", page 494