- “Huh! My ass! Well, you can forget about those adjustments to your A2 scope! And you're surely...”— Master Gunnery Sergeant
Shortly after John-117 arrived at Cairo Station, the Master Gunnery Sergeant fitted him with the Mark VI armor that Maria-062 had tested earlier. The Master Gunnery Sergeant also briefed John-117 on the shields of the new armor. Later, he was killed when Covenant forces invaded the station. Two Elites entered his armory and fired upon him, and he returned fire with an M90 Shotgun. He was shortly killed by the pair of Elites as John-117 entered his armory to assist him. His dying words were
- Master Gunnery Sergeant (Easy/Normal): "Get the hell out of my armory, split-lip!"
- Master Gunnery Sergeant (co-op): "Just what this place needed, a couple of real live targets!"
- Master Gunnery Sergeant (Heroic): "Tell your friends I got enough ammo for all of 'ya!"
- Master Gunnery Sergeant (Legendary): "Come on, now! Is that a weapon or a flashlight?"
Confusion Over RankEdit
There has been a great deal of confusion regarding this character's name and rank. In the level The Armory, he is referred to as "Master Guns" by Sergeant Major Johnson. Many interpreted this as him being a Master Sergeant with the last name "Guns." However, "Master Guns" is an informal address for a Master Gunnery Sergeant, and the character's name is not known. In articles he is often referred to as the unnamed Master Gunnery Sergeant, the Armory's Master Gunnery Sergeant, or "Master Guns" (only if a direct quote from the game). This also might just be a way of Johnson to say "master of the armory."
- If the player waits underneath the Armory away from the stairs before entering it, the Gunnery Sergeant is invincible. He will hold off the two Covenant Elites, but he cannot kill them and will die as soon as the player enters the Armory. On Legendary, one can wait as he takes down the Elite's shield before going up and engaging them.
- It is possible he was the last known human to see John-117's face until the Legendary ending of Halo 4. Throughout Halo 2 and Halo 3 we never see him remove his helmet. However, there have been breaks of time where John could have taken off his helmet unseen by the player, such as between several levels.
- On a very rare occasion, and if you move fast enough, you can kill the Elites and save the Master Gunnery Sergeant. However, he does not move.
- However, it's impossible to save him unless you find a way around the Kill Trigger situated on the staircases/or scripted in the raising of the entrances.