The achievement awards the player 40 Gamerpoints.
It is represented by a yellow circle with a person whose head is the Marathon symbol, and with seven yellow stars (representing the seven Terminals) above him.
The achievement can be completed on any difficulty.
It is similar to the Marathon: Durandal achievement, Hats off to 819.
- After you access the terminal, you need to wait for the screen to go red then wait until the screen shows another text message and finally press A to scroll down to the very last message (a fragment from a Forerunner message) to show up to get the achievement.
- To access the terminal you must "flip" through the terminal until it redirects you then you read through the last pages, then wait a few seconds for the screen to turn red and another fraction of message to show, then leave.
- For some players, the achievement will only be unlocked if the seventh terminal is accessed last.
- A player must access 7 terminals, another seven reference (there is an additional eighth one on the level Cortana, but this isn't necessary for the achievement).
- Marathon is the name of an earlier series of Bungie games (Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal, & Marathon: Infinity).
- Marathon Man was a movie made in 1976.
- There are seven stars, one for each terminal, on the Achievement picture, a reference to the number 7, Bungie's favorite number.
- The person on the medal has a Marathon logo for a head, a reference for the Marathon game and perhaps the reason for the achievement's name.
- In the Marathon game series, terminals were integral parts of the campaign levels: They functioned both for providing storyline, guiding the player, and transporting the player to the next level. They are integral in Halo 3 to learn the downfall of the Forerunner in their battles against the Flood.
- In the Nintendo GameCube game Super Smash Bros. Melee, you would receive a reward of the same name if you ran much more than you walked. Any relationship between this and the Halo 3 achievement appears to be coincidential.
- Marathon Man is very similar to Halo 3: ODST's Audiophile achievement and Halo 4's Terminus achievement.
- There is a bug that when getting this achievement sometimes will grant the player Security shoulders.