The Marathon-class heavy cruiser is a cruiser classification used by the UNSC Navy. The class was meant to be a replacement for the aging Halcyon-class light cruisers. Their numbers are limited and they are usually commanded by the highest-ranking officers.
During the early years of the Human-Covenant war, Marathons played a crucial role in defending the outer colonies, although most were destroyed in the duration of the war.
Following the introduction of the Autumn-class heavy cruiser, most of the surviving Halcyon-class light cruisers and Marathon-class heavy cruisers were decommissioned, with just a handful of them remaining in service.
At 1192 meters long, Marathon-class heavy cruisers are approximately three times the length of a UNSC frigate. They are equipped with thick layers of Titanium-A armor, and are able to sustain far greater damage than any UNSC frigate or destroyer. Due to their size, durability and firepower (2 MACs as well as dozens of oversized Archer Missile pods), these massive vessels are commanded by UNSC Admirals and primarily served as flagships for UNSC fleets.
They were considered extremely valuable in terms of firepower and armor, and it was seen to by the UNSC admiralty that they were only used in the most dire and occasional of circumstances.
Ships of the LineEdit
- In Halo: The Fall of Reach, the Marathon classification is erroneously identified as a carrier.
- The name Marathon is a reference to Bungie's Marathon game series.
Renders and Size ComparisonsEdit
- Halo 2
- Halo Wars (Mentioned only)
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: First Strike
- Tug o' War (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo Graphic Novel
- Halo Wars: Genesis
- Halo: Fall of Reach - Boot Camp
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- ↑ Halo Waypoint, Universe - UNSC Cruiser
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 42
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 53
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Halo Encyclopedia, page 251
- ↑ Halo: First Strike (2010), Tug o' War
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Halo Wars: Genesis - page ??
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 162
- ↑ Halo 2: Anniversary - Terminal 2 - ONI File: Honor Bound
- ↑ Halo 2, campaign level Cairo Station
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 191
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 212