|MA5D Individual Combat Weapon System|
Individual Combat Weapon System
|Damage Per Hit||
|Rate of Fire||
610 rounds/min (cyclic) [Notes 1]
~2,600 ft/s (792 m/s) 
When fired in short controlled bursts at medium range, accuracy is high.
Short to medium
The MA5D ICWS is an exceptionally resilient gas-operated, magazine-fed, automatic assault rifle designed to execute close-quarters combat with lethal efficiency, regardless of hostile counter-op, environmental conditions, or duration of use in the field. The MA5D fires the 7.62 NATO round. Like previous incarnations, the MA5D also contains a built-in ammo counter and compass.
- Like the MA37 from Reach, the MA5D is a general-purpose weapon. However, it also lacks long-range accuracy, therefore is it well to tag this weapon up with either the DMR or Battle Rifle.
- Like the majority of the Assault Rifles throughout the series, it is best to go full-auto at close range and use short controlled bursts for medium range.
- Be careful when going up against close-range instant-kill weapons. It is best to walk back while firing in effective bursts so you won't have to reload.
- Focus on one opponent because although the MA5D is ferociously dangerous in close quarters, you may find yourself not having enough ammunition in the magazine to handle two enemies at a time. Take down one, reload, then go after your next foe.
- It is easy to overestimate an Assault Rifle's performance while going full-auto due to the sheer rate of fire. However, you'll only be wasting your bullets if the enemy is farther away than close range. At default, the reticle is very small, meaning that the first bullet fired from your MA5D will be a bullseye. But because of bloom, the reticle rapidly increases in size as you continue to hold down the trigger. To combat this, practice your trigger finger on being able to shoot in 2-round, 3-round, and 4-round bursts while focusing on keeping the reticle as close to the size of your opponent's hitbox as possible.
Changes from the MA37 ICWSEdit
- Heavier, more boxlike design. Resembles the MA5B.
- Maximum ammunition is decreased from 288 to 224 rounds (256 with Ammo Tactical Package).
- New firing sound.
- The ammo counter uses a new design.
- Increased damage.
- Slightly slower firing speed.
- Skins can be used for this weapon, as with most other Halo 4 Loadout weapons.
Changes from the MA5C ICWSEdit
- Heavier, more box-like appearance - resmbles the MA5B.
- Maximum ammunition dcreased from 352 to 224 rounds (again - 256 with Ammo Tactical Pakage).
- Much more pronounced, more realistic firing sound.
- Slightly more damage to infantry and vehicles.
- Now has a muzzle brake attached.
- Slightly lower rate of fire.
- Has somewhat better accuracy, especially at medium to long ranges.
- This is the weapon the player starts out with at the start of Halo 4.
- An exclusive Prime weapon skin for the MA5D is only available for those who purchase the Halo 4 Limited Edition.
- The sounds for the MA5D were taken from the M-16 and SCAR-H rifles combined together.
- John-117 is seen wielding the MA5D in most cutscenes.
- While the assault rifles used in Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn resemble the MA5D, this is likely artistic license, as the MA5B is canonically the standard-issue weapon of the era.
List of AppearancesEdit
- Halo 4 (First appearance)
- MA37 Individual Combat Weapon System (Halo: Reach)
- MA5B Individual Combat Weapon System (Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo Wars)
- MA5C Individual Combat Weapon System (Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST)
- MA5K Carbine (Halo: Ghosts of Onyx)
- ↑ Fire rate acquired by timing with a stopwatch to the nearest millisecond. Mathematics used: Number of rounds fired (N) divided by the time required to fire those rounds (T) multiplied by 60 = rounds per minute. Example: N / T * 60 = RPM