The M12G1 Light Anti-Armor Vehicle (M12G1 LAAV), commonly known as the Gauss Warthog, is a variant of the UNSC M12 Force Application Vehicle that features a mounted M68 ALIM Gauss Cannon. It is designed to quickly defeat lightly-armored vehicles such as Type-25 RAV Choppers and Type-32 RAV Ghosts. The M68 Gauss Cannon fires 25mm hypersonic speed projectiles by asynchronous magnetic acceleration in the base of the cannon and takes about a half a second to recharge between cannon shots.
- The gauss cannon is devastating to vehicles.
- The gauss cannon can kill Spartans and Elites in one shot.
- The medium rate-of-fire is fast enough to obtain multikills.
- The Gauss Warthog's armor is itself vulnerable to anti-vehicle weaponry.
Changes from Halo 2 to Halo 3 and Halo: ReachEdit
- Rate of fire of the cannon is decreased.
Changes from Halo 3 and Halo: Reach to Halo 4Edit
- Rate of fire of the cannon is decreased even further.
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayerEdit
- The gauss cannon now has a slight warmup time of about 0.5 seconds before it is able to fire. While it warms up, a laser pointer projects from the gauss cannon onto the target.
- Rate of fire of the gauss cannon is drastically increased.
Changes from Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayer to Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
- Gauss cannon no longer has a warm up time, and fires on trigger pull.
- Rate of fire of the cannon decreased back to how it was in Halo 4.
- Multiple variants of the Gauss Hog have been added for use in multiplayer.
CORP Gauss Warthog - An up-armored Gauss Warthog used by Liang Dortmund.
Tundra Gauss Warthog - An up-armored Gauss Warthog used in arctic environments.
Woodland Gauss Warthog - An up-armored Gauss Warthog with a woodland camouflage pattern.
Urban Gauss Warthog - An up-armored Gauss Warthog used by the UNSC Army and the UNMC.
ONI Gauss Warthog - A heavily-armored Gauss Warthog used by ONI with gauss rounds that leave a lingering area-of-effect damage pool.
- The Gauss Warthog first appeared in the E3 2000 Halo: Combat Evolved trailer. It was cut from the final game.
- A label on the Halo 4 Gauss Warthog reads, "BIG SCARY LASER. DO NOT LOOK INTO BEAM WITH REMAINING EYE."
- In Halo 4 Title Update v1.04, the Gauss Warthog's auto aim, magnetism, and damage was reduced.