|This article may not meet Halo Nation's standards. You can help by cleaning this article.|
- “I would have been your daddy, but a dog beat me over the fence.”
The Halo 3 IWHBYD (I Would Have Been Your Daddy) Skull is located on the level The Covenant. This skull has no actual gameplay effects, but unlocks extra dialogue for humorous purposes.
The name of the skull is based on a statement, uttered by Sergeant Johnson and Gunnery Sergeant Stacker in Halo: Combat Evolved (in the last level on Legendary difficulty): "I would have been your daddy, but a dog beat me over the fence!" Further, the skull's description reads, "but a dog beat me over the fence." This was changed in Halo 3: ODST, where the description reads, "rare dialog is common and vice versa."
"I Would Have Been Your Daddy" is also the name of the first chapter of the campaign level Assault on the Control Room in Halo: Combat Evolved.
When you reach the final scene where the Prophet of Truth is planning on lighting the seven rings, proceed as you would normally: kill the Covenant, kill Truth, and kill the Flood, but do not jump down the elevator shaft. Once the bridge is devoid of enemies, you will have to jump through the seven holograms of the Halos in a specific order as follows: 4 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 3 - 4.
Each number corresponds to the ring you must jump through; the ring at the elevator is 1, and the ring next to Truth is 7. The ring with red is 4. You can restart jumping through the rings without restarting the level over as long as you start from the beginning of the sequence.
Once you have completed the sequence, the rings will begin blinking in the same sequence and the skull will appear at the beginning of the light bridge leading to Truth's podium. You must finish the level in order to save the skull to your profile.
The skull will still appear if you are playing in co-op mode.
The IWHBYD Skull causes rare dialogue for both enemy and allied AI to become common and new lines are spoken. For example, if a Brute is killed, one of the surviving Brutes might say, "He was my lover!" or "Every pack-brother for himself!" This line can be heard without the skull on, but becomes much more likely to be spoken with it on.
More examples of lines said by AI can be viewed here.
- The skull was intended to be the hardest skull to find and wasn't discovered until hackers looked in the game's scripts.
- The further the skull is carried from the control panel, the brighter the rings will glow until the lights become blinding. It is assumed that the holograms would have also behaved in this manner if they were all activated.
- Each of the holographic rings sound a different tone of the E Dorian mode when you stand near it. The sequence, if you pay attention, plays the final 7 notes of the Halo theme song.
- Once you grab the skull, the Halo theme plays and the eerie Flood music fades. When you finish the level, there will be no music while Master Chief is following Cortana, although the Halo theme will play as scripted as the ring rises out of the Ark.