The Hull Classification Symbol is placed on each and every UNSC ship and space station. Different types and sizes of ship have different classification symbols. Placed after the symbol is a number. Each ship of that class gets a different number. This way, the Hull Classification Symbol is a sort of numerical identification system for ships, other than their names.
The symbol based on the hull classification symbol system used by the United States Navy in the 20th and 21st centuries with few differences. The symbols have a few things in common, a symbol beginning with "FF" generally denotes a Frigate, "DD" a Destroyer, "CC" a Cruiser, "CV" a Carrier, and "BB" a Battleship. The rest of the letters vary depending on the type of vessel. There can be dozens of types of each class of vessel.
A similar system to the Hull classification symbols are also used by the Covenant Navy, though their system is more diverse than the UNSC's and identifies classes by their three roles or characteristics. The classification code for the ORS-class cruiser describe its duties as "Ordained," "Reverence," and "Salvation." These letters describe the ship as being augmented with Forerunner technology, intended for reconnaissance and excavatory duties, and capable of glassing a planet, respectively.
List of Known SymbolsEdit
- ↑ Canon Fodder - "Have S'moa"
- ↑ Halo 4 - Map: Exile
- ↑ Halo: Combat Evolved: Sybex Official Strategies & Secrets - page 60
- ↑ Bungie Weekly Update 01.29.10
- ↑ Halo 2: Anniversary - Level: Cairo Station
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Halo Legendary Crate - Bonus Item: First Twelve Hours
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 208
- ↑ Halo 4 - Map: Adrift
- ↑ Halo 2 - Level: Elongation
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe - Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian, Animated Short
- ↑ Halo Mythos: A Guide to the Story of Halo - page 82
- ↑ Halo Legends - The Babysitter
- ↑ Halo 4 - Description: Recruit Forearms
- ↑ Halo 3: ODST - Level: Prepare To Drop
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Halo 2/Halo 2: Anniversary - Level: Cairo Station
- ↑ Halo 3 - Map: Sandtrap
- ↑ Halo: Reach - Level: Tip of the Spear
- ↑ Halo Encyclopedia - pages 262 and 302
- ↑ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide - page 162
- ↑ Halo Mythos: A Guide to the Story of Halo - page 140
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach (2010) - Bonus Content
- ↑ Halo Graphic Novel, Page 122
- ↑ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide - page 7
- ↑ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide - page 27