Mountain forest, UNSC training facility
Highlands is one of three maps in the Defiant map pack designed for Halo: Reach. The map is set in a UNSC SPARTAN-II training facility in the Military Wilderness Training Preserve within the Highland Mountains on Reach. Outside the playable space, Covenant CCS-class battlecruisers can be seen glassing the surrounding environment.
The following are locations on the map that are so named on the player's Heads-up display during gameplay:
- Motor Pool
- Rock Arch
- Red Base
- Red Tower
- West Cave
- Rappelling Towers
- Blue Base
- Blue Tower
- Big Horn River
- Radio Tower
- Crash Site
- East Cave
- Out of bounds...
- During development Highlands was known as Training Preserve. Current files on Bungie.net are even labelled as Training Preserve instead of the map's final name.
- This is one of two maps to feature locations previously described in the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach, the other being Condemned.
- This level's design is similar to that of the Halo: Combat Evolved campaign level Halo.
- The crashed Pelican was carrying Spartan-IIs in the midst of the Fall of Reach. They leapt out of the doomed Pelican, dropping into the Highland Mountains in the Viery Territory.
- The crashed Pelican's cockpit emits a radio conversation.
- The Covenant Cruisers hovering in the sky are not static; they wobble from side to side slightly and will often glass the area they hover over but not moving to a different area.
- This is the 5th level that includes a crashed UNSC ship and is the second in Halo: Reach to include one.