Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|There is more information available on this subject at Hellenic Republic on the English Wikipedia.|
Many aspects of Greek culture had an impact on interstellar humans. This includes project names like the ORION Program and its successors (SPARTAN-II, III, and !V programs). They were named after aspects of Sparta. Several planets are named from Greek culture:
- Hellas: Hellas (Greek: Ελλάς) is another name for Greece, and the one most commonly used within Greece.
- Arcadia: Arcadia (Greek: Αρκαδία) is a region located in Pelloponesus, southern Greece.
- Tantalus: Tantalus (Greek: Τάνταλος) is mythological figure who is best known for his eternal punishment in Tartarus.
Other References to Greece in Halo Edit
- Gephyrophobia: Gephyrophobia (Greek: γεφυροφοβία), like many other words finishing with "-phobia", is a Greek word. Gephyrophobia, in both Greek and English, is the fear of bridges.
- Porta: Porta (Greek: πόρτα) is the Greek word for door.
- Melissa: Melissa (Greek: μέλισσα) is the Greek word for bee. Considering the fact that the AI Melissa is afraid of bees, we can say that her name is inspired by the insect melissa.
- Camp Patmos: Though not surely a Greek reference, Patmos' (Greek: Πάτμος) name could be based on the island of Patmos, which is located at the Dodekanisa island region in southern Greece.
- Papadakis: Papadakis (Greek: Παπαδάκης) is a common Greek surname.