|This article (Halo Encyclopedia) is no longer up to date and needs to be updated with new information. Please visit this article's talk page for more info.|
The Halo Encyclopedia is an official guidebook of the Halo Universe, published by Dorling Kindersley. The encyclopedia has a foreword written by Frank O'Connor, head of the Halo Franchise Development Group, with Tobias Buckell editing. It was released on October 19, 2009. An updated version was released on September 19, 2011.
Official DK SummaryEdit
- "This is a must-have guide to the Halo universe. Humanity teeters on the brink of extinction, as hostile forces and ancient mysteries threaten to snuff out our first fiery foray into the universe. Take a trip into the world of Halo and discover everything you ever wanted to know about the characters, weapons, vehicles, equipment and locations from Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. From the Colonial Administration Authority to the UNSC, you'll find an overview of Halo's human history and structure and gain insight into key organizations. Discover all about the Covenant - its history and religion - as well as the Forerunners, Flood and much more. It's what Halo fans have been waiting for."
- — Dorling Kindersley
- Foreword by Frank O' Connor
- The Covenant
- The Flood
- The Forerunners
- The Human-Covenant war
- Science and Technology
The first edition gave the reader information about Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo Wars.
The second edition was an updated version of the first. The only diffrences was now the reader can learn about new weapons, vehicles, settings, and characters from Halo: Reach.
Reception to the Halo Encyclopedia was mixed. Some reviewers and readers praised the book's detailed approach to its content. However, other reviewers stated that the book's images were often of poor quality and "at times seemed haphazardly thrown together."
Others criticisms centered on the work's poor editing, most notably its poor spelling and grammar. Misattributions were also frequent, with Scout and Rogue being mistakenly confused as one armor type.
Later printings of the encyclopedia showed improved editing, where many mistakes that existed in the initial printing had been eliminated, such as numerous mislabelings and missattributions.
Nonetheless, a dispiriting number of errors remained. The ranking system of the Brutes is still mangled, with a picture of a Major labelled as a Minor, and the colour of Ultra's armour mis-cited as cyan instead of violet, among other errors.
On occasion, the book contradicts itself within the case of Miranda Keyes. It stated her cause of death was by a Brute Honor Guard. However on page 182, it states she was killed by The Prophet of Truth (which is her true cause of death).
- ↑ Amazon.com - Halo Encyclopedia (Hardcover)
- ↑ Joystiq.com - DK to publish official Halo Encyclopedia
- ↑ N4G.com - Halo Encyclopedia coming
- ↑ Though I must say, they could have done a better job on some of the images. At times these seem haphazardly thrown together. Low resolution models of items have been blown up to show just how shoddy their design was in game. - Gamer's Daily News
|Books of Halo|
|Main series||The Fall of Reach • The Flood • First Strike • Ghosts of Onyx • Contact Harvest • The Cole Protocol|
|The Forerunner Saga||Cryptum • Primordium • Silentium|
|Kilo-Five trilogy||Glasslands • The Thursday War • One unannounced sequel|
|Reference||The Art of Halo • The Art of Halo 3 • Encyclopedia (2009) • The Essential Visual Guide • The Art of Building Worlds • The Art of Halo 4|
|Official Guides||Halo: Combat Evolved • Halo 2 • Halo 3 • Halo Wars • Halo 3: ODST • Halo: Reach • Halo 4|
|Miscellaneous||Black Art of Halo Mods|