Halo 5: Guardians is a Halo game that was announced during Microsoft's E3 2013 presentation as the second chapter in the John-117 storyline of the Reclaimer Saga and the sequel to Halo 4. It was released on October 27, 2015.
Characters and SettingEdit
Jameson Locke and John-117 are both playable characters in Halo 5: Guardians. The teammates of both Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris are also available for other players to play in the co-op campaign.
- Main article: Spartan Abilities
In Halo 5: Guardians, armor abilities are replaced with Spartan Abilities. Spartan Abilities are distinct from Armor Abilities, in that they are not limited by cooldowns or pickups. Rather, they are base player abilities which can be used by all at any time, similar to Dual Wielding or Boarding. The seven Spartan Abilities are:
- Thruster Pack: Similar to Thruster Pack from Halo 4, except now there is movement in any direction.
- Ground Pound: While in air, you can slam down into the ground, potentially killing anyone below.
- Clamber: If you miss a ledge, you can pull yourself up.
- Slide: While sprinting, you can slide.
- Charge: While sprinting, you can slam into an enemy.
- Sprint: Sprinting like in Halo 4, but after a certain amount of time, you will achieve the perfect velocity to activate the previous two abilities. Sprinting will stop shield recharge.
- Smart Scope: A zoom function that applies to all weapons. Each weapon has a different degree of zoom.
The campaign is roughly twice as long as Halo 4's campaign.
|Swords of Sanghelios|
|Before the Storm|
|Battle of Sunaion|
Multiplayer in Halo 5: Guardians is split into two main play styles: the classic Arena experience, and the new 24-player game, Warzone. Big Team Battle is not present in the game at launch, instead it was replaced with Warzone, however it was added post-launch. Spectator mode is allowed within multiplayer matches. There are over 20 multiplayer maps at the launch of Halo 5. At least an additional 15 maps were added post launch, before June 2016.
- Asymmetric Recoilless Carbine-920
- BR55 Service Rifle
- BR85N Service Rifle
- M20/Personal Defense Weapon
- M247H Heavy Machine Gun
- M343A2 Minigun
- M395B Designated Marksman Rifle
- M41 Surface-to-Surface Rocket Medium Anti-Vehicle/Assault Weapon
- M45D Tactical Shotgun
- M555 Electromagnetic Launcher
- M57 Pilum Assault Weapon
- M6D Personal Defense Weapon System
- M6/E Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear Rifle
- M6H2 Personal Defense Weapon System
- M739 Light Machine Gun
- M80B Multiple Launch Rocket System
- MA5D Individual Combat Weapon System
- Multiple Launch Rocket System-1 Hydra Gyroc Launcher
- Sniper Rifle System 99-Series 5 Anti-Matériel
- Assault cannon
- Type-1 Energy Weapon/Sword
- Type-2 Energy Weapon/Hammer
- Type-25 Directed Energy Rifle/Jiralhanae variant
- Type-27 Special Application Sniper Rifle
- Type-50 Sniper Rifle System
- Type-52 Guided Munitions Launcher/Explosive
- Type-53 Plasma Bolt Launcher
- Type-54 Directed Energy Pistol
- Type-55 Directed Energy Rifle/Advanced
- Type-56 Guided Munitions Launcher
- Type-57 Carbine
- Type-58 Directed Energy Support Weapon
- Type-58 Light Anti-Armor Weapon
- Z-110 Directed Energy Pistol/Exotic
- Z-130 Directed Energy Automatic Weapon
- Z-180 Close Combat Rifle/Asymmetric Engagement Mitigator
- Z-250 Directed Energy Engagement Weapon
- Z-390 High-Explosive Munitions Rifle
- Z-400 Pursuit Disruption Grid Generator
- Z-520 Encounter-Mitigation System
- Z-750 Special Application Sniper Rifle
- AV-49 Attack VTOL
- D79H-TC Pelican
- Halcyon-class light cruiser
- HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL Mark IX Armor Defense System
- Infinity-class supercarrier
- M12B Force Application Vehicle
- M820 Main Battle Tank (First appearance)
- M290 All-Terrain Vehicle (First appearance)
- Phoenix-class colony ship
- UNSC Of Uncommon Courage
- Type-54 Rapid Attack Vehicle (First appearance)
- Type-58 Light Assault Gun Carriage (First appearance)
- Type-26 Anti-Infantry Stationary Gun
- Type-26 Anti-Aircraft Stationary Gun
- Type-54 Ground Support Aircraft (First appearance)
- Type-57 Troop Carrier (First appearance)
- Type-57 Dropship Troop Carrier (First appearance)
- Type-56 Ground Support/Ultra Heavy Deployment Platform
- Type-55 Ultra-Heavy Siege Tower (First appearance)
- CCS-class battlecruiser
- Sangheili Blockade Runner (First appearance)
- Man O' War (First appearance)
- Carrack merchant cruiser (First appearance)
- Brigantine (First appearance)
- Unknown class
- Forerunner Ecumene
- Z-1800 Exoatmospheric Multirole Fighter (First appearance)
- Main article: List of Achievements for Halo 5: Guardians
Halo 5: Guardians' achievements are worth a total of 1,000 gamerscore. The game features 65 achievements with 11 achievements being obtained in multiplayer.
|Features||Standard||Limited||Limited Collector's||Digital Deluxe|
|Standard game disc||Yes||No||No||No|
|Limited Edition game disc||No||Yes||Optional||No|
|14 day Xbox Live Gold trial||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|The Fall of Reach Animated Series||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SPARTAN Locke's orders and dossiers on Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris.||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Metal Guardian model||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Commemorative statue of Master Chief and Agent Locke.||No||No||Yes||No|
The standard edition of the game includes the disk and a 14-day Xbox Live Gold trial, and was released October 27th, 2015.
The digital edition contains a digital download of the game, without a disk or game case.
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition
Including collectible items such as a limited edition game disk and a steelbook case, the Halo 5: Guardians limited edition is available for pre-order before the release of the game. In addition to the limited edition case and disk, the bundle includes a 14-day Xbox Live trial, Halo: The Fall of Reach Animated Series, a Warzone REQ bundle, dossiers on Blue Team, Fireteam Osiris and SPARTAN Locke's orders, and finally a metal model of a Guardian. The edition costs $99.99.
Limited Collector's EditionEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Limited Collector's Edition
The Halo 5: Guardians Limited Collector's Edition contained, in addition to the Limited Edition collectible content, a statue of Master Chief and Agent Locke. This statue can be pulled apart from its default state, to present the pair as enemies rather than a team like is presented by default. It cost $249.99.
Controversially, the Limited Collector's edition originally contained a digital download code rather than a physical disk. This was intended to allow purchasers of the Limited Collector's edition to pre-load the game. In response to a fan uproar at the lack of a disk, 343 Industries stated that they were looking for a 'solution' to satisfy those who want a disk. Later, they confirmed within a Halo Community Update that customers would be able to opt to have a disk rather than the default digital download code.
Digital Deluxe EditionEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Digital Deluxe Edition
A Digital Deluxe edition was also available for pre-order before the game's release. It cost $89.99, and contained a digital download of the game itself, a REQ bundle, and Halo: The Fall of Reach Animated Series.
At least one known version of the game exists, the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta. This version includes different menu systems featuring a different background and different music, armor descriptions feature the manufacturers, Empire had slightly different pathing, and armor colouring was able to be individually selected.
Xbox One RevealEdit
- “There was no ambiguity in not putting a number after the game. For me, what we showed wasn’t the game. Nobody should be confused on that. I didn’t really want to try to show something that was clearly a thought piece by the studio around where Master Chief is in his journey, and then drop the name after it and be somewhat disingenuous about that being the game. But I did want Bonnie [Ross] to come out and say 'First-person shooter. Master Chief.' Because they'll get the questions: 'Hey, is this ODST? What are you guys doing?' Bonnie [Ross] comes out and reaffirms that 343 is building this game. It’s Master Chief. It’s a first-person shooter at 60 frames per second. It’s coming in 2014.”— Phil Spencer, regarding the teaser trailer
On May 16, 2014, Bonnie Ross, General Manager of 343 Industries, announced on Xbox Wire that the Halo game will be named Halo 5: Guardians and will be released in Fall 2015. Bonnie also announced that Halo 5: Guardians will run on a new and more powerful engine.
Hunt the TruthEdit
- Main article: Hunt the Truth
On March 19, 2015, Frank O'Connor tweeted a link to a Tumblr page called Hunt the Truth. On the page, there was countdown that had ended on March 22, 2015 at 1:00am UTC and had an image of the word "Traitor" engraved onto a bullet. The page revealed to be about a journalist and war photographer, Benjamin Giraud, who is trying to find the truth about the Master Chief.
- The Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta was accessible through Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
- Exclusive content unlocked in Halo: The Master Chief Collection will carry over to Halo 5: Guardians.
- Halo 5's Theater mode writes replay files to the dedicated servers as the player is playing. These files can be accessed in real-time, enabling players to spectate others live.
- Halo 5's internal development code name for the AI companions was "Musketeers."
- Halo 5: Guardians is the first Halo first-person shooter to be given an ESRB rating of T.
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Teaser Trailer
E3 2014 Multiplayer Beta AnnouncementEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta Trailer
Spartan Locke Armor SetEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Spartan Locke Armor Set
Hunt the TruthEdit
- Main article: All Hail
- Main article: The Cost
Halo 5: Launch TV CommercialEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Launch TV Commercial
Halo 5: Guardians Opening CinematicEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Guardians Opening Cinematic
Halo 5: Guardians Cinema First LookEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Cinema First Look
Halo 5 Mister Chief Req System TutorialEdit
- Main article: Halo 5 Mister Chief Req System Tutorial
Halo 5: A Hero Falls TV CommercialEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: A Hero Falls TV Commercial
Halo 5: Launch Gameplay TrailerEdit
- Main article: Halo 5: Launch Gameplay Trailer
- ↑ Sister ships are always the same class. The Undiminished Entelechy was, as such, a CCS-class battlecruiser, but simply substituted to be a different class in the simulations: "for captains and admirals alike who are looking to gain any tactical advantage they can, both on the ground and in space. How might the events of Alpha Halo have been different if the Fleet of Particular Justice had been made up of different ships in the Covenant arsenal?" - Grimbrother One, Canon Fodder
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 GameSpot - Xbox One Revealed
- ↑ NeoGAF - Frank O'Conner's post
- ↑ IGN - Halo 5: Guardians Release Date Announced
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Clarity Regarding Halo 5: Guardians Online Co-op Access
- ↑ Gameinformer - July Cover Revealed, Halo 5: Guardians
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Halo 5 final cover art, horizontal
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 GameInformer Issue 267, July 2015
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 8.8 8.9 Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians Campaign Trailer, and Co-op Gameplay [E3 2015] 1080p
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Reunion
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Halsey Render
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 YouTube - IGN, Halo 5 ViDoc: A Hero Reborn
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Youtube: Halo 5 Warzone ViDoc
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 YouTube - 51-2 Unfriggenbelievable | First Game on Skirmish at Darkstar - Halo 5 Guardians
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 14.5 IGN: 15 Minutes of Halo 5 Warzone Multiplayer
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 15.5 15.6 Halo Waypoint: Cannon Fodder - Beta Late Than Never
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians Spartan Locke Armor Set | 60 | GameStop
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Halo 5: Guardians - Campaign Preview 14
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Halo Waypoint - Games - Infinity's Armory
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Conventional Warfare
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 Halo Waypoint: - Blogs - Hammer Storm Preview
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Halo Waypoint - Community - Halo 5: Guardians REQ System Introduction
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Have S'moa (What is the name of Spartan Locke's armor variant? Spartan Locke is currently equipped with the MJOLNIR GEN2 Hunter variant)
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 23.3 23.4 23.5 23.6 Halo Waypoint - Memories of Reach Preview
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Canon Fodder: Tales & Stingers
- ↑ Twitter - Quinn DelHoyo
- ↑ Twitter - Bonnie Ross
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 27.3 27.4 27.5 27.6 Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians Beta - All 7 Spartan Abilities (Smart Scope, Charge, Etc.)
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5 Guardians: New Gameplay Footage - IGN Live: Gamescom 2015
- ↑ IGN - Big Team Battle Will Not Be in Halo 5 Multiplayer At Launch
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians - EPIC Competitive Features Revealed
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians - 35 Maps Confirmed, DLC Free, BIG Sandbox
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5 Forge - "Time Of Day" Gadget Confirmed? Orion Walkthrough!
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Twitter - Josh Holmes
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3 34.4 Team Beyond - HALO 5: GUARDIANS BETA SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 Twitter - Josh Holmes
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 Halo Waypoint: Halo 5: Guardians, Halo 5: Guardians Beta
- ↑ Halo Channel - The Sprint, Episode 3
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Halo Community Update: Rigged
- ↑ Gamespot - Halo 5 New Warzone Map Is Biggest Ever, Inspired By Original Halo
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians Beta Gameplay - "Empire" (Slayer)
- ↑ Youtube: HALO 5 Gamescom | Full Segment | 1080p
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Railgun Render
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 43.2 43.3 43.4 43.5 43.6 43.7 43.8 43.9 Halo Waypoint - Canon Fodder - Locke and Load
- ↑ GameSpot - New Halo 5 "Memories of Reach" Armor and Helmet Reqs Revealed
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 45.3 45.4 YouTube: HALO 5 Gameplay | RAID ON APEX 7 New Weapons | Warzone 1080p 60fps (Halo 5: Guardians WARZONE)
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 46.2 46.3 Youtube: - Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta First Look
- ↑ "Bring back the SPNKr Rocket Launcher as a legendary version of the weapon" - Halo Waypoint - Blogs - How Fans Helped Shape the Multiplayer of Halo 5: Guardians
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians Beta - Weapons In Halo 5 (Secret Weapon)
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 49.2 The Sprint - Season 2 - Episode 3: Warzone Wednesday
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Halo Championship Series - Promotional Image
- ↑ This Screenshot of a player zoomed into the magnum in the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta.
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - SAW Render
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Anvil's Legacy Preview
- ↑ Youtube - Halo 5: Guardians - Prophets Bane" Sword, and "Breakout" Gamemode
- ↑ Imgur - Sorrow of Teash
- ↑ Imgur - Scale of Soirapt
- ↑ xBox - Warzone Firefight Comes to Halo 5: Guardians on June 29
- ↑ YouTube - Halo 5 Plasma Launcher!?
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Campaign Preview 2
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Carbine Render
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Fuel Rod Gun Render
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta - Empire 5
- ↑ YouTube: HALO 5 GAMEPLAY | ENEMY LINES Campaign Gameplay (Halo 5 Guardians Gameplay)
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Universe - Splinter Grenade
- ↑ Youtube - IGN, 15 Minutes of Halo 5 Warzone Multiplayer
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - All Units
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5: Beta - Epic Things You Can Do in Spectator Mode
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5: Guardians Warzone Multiplayer E3 2015 Trailer
- ↑ 69.0 69.1 69.2 69.3 Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - A Time to Give Tanks
- ↑ 70.0 70.1 70.2 70.3 Halo Waypoint - Canon Fodder - Designs of the Times
- ↑ Microsoft Store - Halo 5: Guardians - Limited Edition
- ↑ Microsoft Store - Halo 5: Guardians - Limited Collector's Edition
- ↑ Game Stop - Fans Upset $250 Halo 5 CE Only Includes Digital Copy, But 343 Exploring Solutions
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Halo Community Update 7.17.15
- ↑ Xbox Store - Halo 5: Guardians - Digital Deluxe Edition
- ↑ Artstation: Halo 5: Guardian Beta Menu Concepts
- ↑ Youtube: Halo 5 Beta Tour - Armor Customization, Menu, Gameplay, Settings
- ↑ IGN - Microsoft on Halo 5, Halo 2 Anniversary
- ↑ Xbox Wire - The Halo Journey
- ↑ Twitter - Frank O'Connor @franklez: The countdown is on http://huntthetruth.tumblr.com/ #Halo5 #HUNTtheTRUTH
- ↑ 81.0 81.1 Tumblr - HUNT the TRUTH
- ↑ YouTube - Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing: Halo
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Halo 5: Guardians
- ↑ YouTube - Halo 5: Guardians GAMEPLAY - E3 2015 Interview
- ↑ YouTube - Halo 5 ViDoc: A Hero Reborn