The box has two parts, the inner box (which is the actual box itself) has a picture of the Portal firing, while the outer box (which is more like a simple cover) has a large three printed on it, with the words "Halo 3 Legendary Edition" below that. On the other side of this is a large picture of John-117, which can be used as a poster. There was recently a recall of some Legendary Editions due to the fact that some maps won't work.[verification needed]
The set includes:
- A scaled-down replica model of a MJOLNIR Mark VI helmet.
- A plastic holder for the three discs.
- Three discs:
- Disc One is the game itself, Halo 3.
- Disc Two is the same Xbox 360 game disc that was in the Halo 3 Limited Collector's Edition.
- Disc Three, which is exclusive to the Legendary Edition, contains the cutscenes from Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 in chronological order, with optional developer commentary featuring Joseph Staten, Martin O'Donnell, and Jason Jones. Also included on the disc is a guide to the 7 Steps to World Domination plan, included in a short history of Bungie, as well as a documentary chronicling Cortana voice actor Jen Taylor as she learns about the Bungie fan community. Also included was an episode of This Spartan Life which included footage made in Halo 3, and two episodes of Red vs Blue, "The Call" and a special edition of Red vs Blue Episode I. Included in the special edition of Red vs Blue Episode I was a short mockumentary about the time leading up to the creation of the series. Also on this disc is the expanded digital Bestiarum and also the surround sound test carried over from Halo 2.
The Legendary Edition costs $129.99 plus tax and was released on September 25, 2007. There was a minimum down-payment of $25 at EB Games or Game Stop. Some EB Games stores, however, accepted $5 pre-order deposits. Microsoft has reported that the Legendary Edition should be sold out on the day of release. However, the serial on the helmet shows that the Legendary Edition was actually made in large numbers, and at one point could have been sold for as low as $30, though that is no longer the case.
- The settings screen has a different appearance than the one on the Regular Edition.
- ↑ "We wanted to take the collectors set to a higher level." - Brian Jarrard, Bungie
- ↑ http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12467
- ↑ http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28725