Halo: The Essential Visual Guide is a visual guidebook of the Halo universe, published by DK Publishing on July 4, 2011. The book contains images and additional information on the locations, characters, creatures, vehicles, and weapons from the Halo universe, including the introduction of names to previously unnamed characters or objects in the Halo universe, such as the Hierarchs. Each page in the guide is dedicated to one element, focusing on its role and significance in the Halo universe. The book also features over 600 pieces of artwork specially commissioned by Microsoft artists.
- The Scout armor section doesn't have all Scout armor models displayed, most likely due to limited image footage.
- The book says that the Shadow was only seen in the level Outskirts and the 2003 Halo 2 demo, but in actuality, the Shadow also made an appearance in the level that follows Outskirts, known as Metropolis.
- In the book, the Elephant (Halo 3) is listed as the M313 Heavy Recovery Vehicle, and the Elephant (Halo Wars) is listed as the M312 Heavy Recovery Vehicle, the M313 and M312 being confused.
- The Assault Rifle page says that it didn't appear in Halo 3: ODST even though it did.
- The Security and Military Police armor are not shown in this book.
- The MAC Gun Spartan operator seems to be Noble Six running in leaked photos from the development of Halo: Reach.
|Books of Halo|
|Main series||The Fall of Reach • The Flood • First Strike • Ghosts of Onyx • Contact Harvest • The Cole Protocol|
|The Forerunner Saga||Cryptum • Primordium • Silentium|
|Kilo-Five trilogy||Glasslands • The Thursday War • One unannounced sequel|
|Reference||The Art of Halo • The Art of Halo 3 • Encyclopedia (2009) • The Essential Visual Guide • The Art of Building Worlds • The Art of Halo 4|
|Official Guides||Halo: Combat Evolved • Halo 2 • Halo 3 • Halo Wars • Halo 3: ODST • Halo: Reach • Halo 4|
|Miscellaneous||Black Art of Halo Mods|