The HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL Mark IX Armor Defense System, also known as the Mantis, is an armored fighting vehicle. It was given the nickname Mantis because of its ability to ambush 18 heavily guarded Type-27 "Mantis" Anti-Aircraft Cannons during the Battle of Meridian on a legendary "Cherbourg Run."
The Mantis is a powered exoskeleton armor defense system similar to the Cyclops. However, where as the Cyclops was designed only for labor and modified to function in combat, the Mantis was created specifically for combat as an evolution of an earlier model. It is equipped with several weapon and defense systems, including armor plating, energy shielding, two weapon pods on either side of the cockpit, and a stomp ability. The weapon pods typically contain a machine gun on the right pod and a five-shot rocket launcher on the left pod, but these can be replaced with other weapons.
The Mantis is heavily armed and well-protected. With full shields, it is powerful enough to withstand a single Spartan Laser shot. The machine gun can shred infantry and the missile pod can demolish vehicles. The stomping ability will destroy almost every vehicle or infantry. It can also be air-dropped by D79H-TC Pelicans.
The Mantis is relatively slow and can be easily outmaneuvered by smaller, faster vehicles. The Mantis is also susceptible to being boarded from the rear by enemy players. Like other vehicles, it can be stunned for a few seconds using a fully-charged shot from a Plasma Pistol. After a stomp attack, the vehicle is unable to move for a few seconds, but the head of the vehicle can still turn and shoot. Its shield recharges slowly.
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
- The Mantis now has a headlight which activates when the vehicle is powered up.
- The missile pod now fires all 5 missiles at once, even if charged; there is no option for single shots.
- Walks faster.
- Missiles can home in on multiple enemies at once.
- HUD no longer shows missile count.
- Shields recharge in one second compared to 10 seconds in Halo 4.
- Can now be boarded from the front.
- A weak spot has been added; the protrusion from the front of the Mantis.
CORP Mantis - An up-armored Mantis used by Liang Dortmund.
Tundra Mantis - An up-armored Mantis used in arctic environments.
Woodland Mantis - An up-armored Mantis with a woodland camouflage pattern.
Urban Mantis - An up-armored Mantis used by the UNSC Army and the UNMC.
ONI Mantis - A heavily-armored Mantis used by ONI with multi-environment homing missiles and a chaingun that overheats less quickly. This variant has the highest armor of any Mantis.
Hannibal Mantis - A heavily-armored Mantis upgraded by Hannibal Weapon Systems with a rapid-firing gauss chaingun, experimental ion-field missiles that split into submunitions and the ability to EMP other vehicles with a stomp attack. The Hannibal Mantis sacrifices armor strength for a more resilient energy shield, which recharges slower.
- The Mantis cannot be flipped over in any way whatsoever. Trying to do so in forge will simply spin the vehicle around.
- The Mantis shares its name with the Type-27 Anti-Aircraft Cannon.
- It isn't affected by low-gravity zones, high-gravity zones, or fall damage. However, it is affected by man cannons and teleporters. If you launch the Mantis off of a man cannon into a gravity zone, it will be affected by the zone.
- There are two variants of the Mantis. The Campaign version uses high-caliber chain gun rounds and guided ground-to-air misslies while the Multiplayer version uses lower-caliber machine gun rounds and unguided ground-to-ground rockets.
- Hrunting was a sword given to Beowulf in the ancient poem "Beowulf".
- Yggdrasil was the mythical tree of life that connected the nine worlds in Norse mythology.