The Mantis has also been used by a few notable people. When the UNSC Infinity crashed on Requiem in 2557, the Master Chief used one to help clear parts of the ship of Jul 'Mdama's Covenant. It was used by him again during the Didact's attack on Ivanoff Research Station.
When an expedition returned to Installation 00 in 2558, they brought several Mantis' with them for site security. These would be destroyed along with the Henry Lamb Research Outpost in 2559. Later, in the October of 2558, Fireteam Osiris was given a few during their attempt to reach the Arbiter Thel 'Vadam on Sanghelios.
The Mantis is a powered exoskeleton armor defense system similar to the Cyclops. However, where as the Cyclops was designed only for labor and modified to function in combat, the Mantis was created specifically for combat as an evolution of an earlier model. It is equipped with several weapon and defense systems, including armor plating, energy shielding, two weapon pods on either side of the cockpit, and a stomp ability. The weapon pods typically contain a machine gun on the right pod and a five-shot rocket launcher on the left pod, but these can be replaced with other weapons.
|CORP Mantis||An up-armored Mantis used by Liang Dortmund.|
|N/A||Tundra Mantis||An up-armored Mantis used in arctic environments.|
|N/A||Woodland Mantis||An up-armored Mantis with a woodland camouflage pattern.|
|N/A||Urban Mantis||An up-armored Mantis used by the UNSC Army and the UNSC Marine Corps.|
|N/A||ONI Mantis||A heavily-armored Mantis used by ONI with multi-environment homing missiles and a chaingun that overheats less quickly. This variant has the highest armor of any Mantis.|
|Hannibal Mantis||A heavily-armored Mantis upgraded by Hannibal Weapon Systems with a rapid-firing gauss chaingun, experimental ion-field missiles that split into submunitions and the ability to EMP other vehicles with a stomp attack. The Hannibal Mantis sacrifices armor strength for a more resilient energy shield, which recharges slower.|
|Theseus||A heavily modified variant of a Mantis, built specifically for Jerome-092.|
There are two variants of the Mantis. The Campaign version uses high-caliber chain gun rounds and guided ground-to-air misslies while the Multiplayer version uses lower-caliber machine gun rounds and unguided ground-to-ground rockets.
The Mantis cannot be flipped over in any way whatsoever. Trying to do so in forge will simply spin the vehicle around.
It isn't affected by low-gravity zones, high-gravity zones, or fall damage. However, it is affected by man cannons and teleporters. If you launch the Mantis off of a man cannon into a gravity zone, it will be affected by the zone.
The Mantis is heavily armed and well-protected. With full shields, it is powerful enough to withstand a single Spartan Laser shot. The machine gun can shred infantry and the missile pod can demolish vehicles. The stomping ability will destroy almost every vehicle or infantry. It can also be air-dropped by D79H-TC Pelicans.
The Mantis is relatively slow and can be easily outmaneuvered by smaller, faster vehicles. The Mantis is also susceptible to being boarded from the rear by enemy players. Like other vehicles, it can be stunned for a few seconds using a fully-charged shot from a Plasma Pistol. After a stomp attack, the vehicle is unable to move for a few seconds, but the head of the vehicle can still turn and shoot. Its shield recharges slowly.
Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
- The Mantis now has a headlight which activates when the vehicle is powered up.
- The missile pod now fires all 5 missiles at once, even if charged; there is no option for single shots.
- Walks faster.
- Missiles can home in on multiple enemies at once.
- HUD no longer shows missile count.
- Shields recharge in one second compared to 10 seconds in Halo 4.
- Can now be boarded from the front.
- A weak spot has been added; the protrusion from the front of the Mantis.
Halo Wars 2Edit
- The Mantis shares its name with the Type-27 Anti-Aircraft Cannon.
- Hrunting was a sword given to Beowulf in the ancient poem "Beowulf."
- Yggdrasil was the mythical tree of life that connected the nine worlds in Norse mythology.
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - MANTIS
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 111
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Halo Waypoint: Universe - Mantis
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Halo 4 Interactive Guide
- ↑ Youtube - Drivable Mech, Vidoc, Female Spartan and MORE!!
- ↑ Halo 4 - Level: Infinity
- ↑ Halo 4 - Level: Composer
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Community Update - Folks Need Heroes
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Level: Swords of Sanghelios
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Halo Wars 2 - Welcome Jerome & Arbiter
- ↑ Halo Waypoint – The Halo Bulletin 10-17-12