Flood is the new Halo 4 Infection gametype. Flood is the successor of Halo 3 and Halo: Reach Infection gametype. It is the first multiplayer gametype to include the Flood as a player controlled character.
To win, the survivors must survive 3 minutes, while the Flood must infect the survivors. Survivors are equipped with a shotgun and magnum. The Infected will use their claw to melee the enemy. The Flood are extremely fast and can jump very high. There are three classes for the flood; Hunter (Thruster Pack ability), Stalker (Promethean Vision ability), and Lurker (Active Camo ability). Each class has the same character model and weapons, the only differences is their class names and armor abilities.
The Flood Character Model: A unique character model for both first and third-person.
The Claw: A special melee weapon tuned just for the Flood.
Flood Armor Effect: A special effect that trails behind Flood characters.
Flood Screen Effect: A first-person screen effect that shows the haunted view of a Flood.
Dynamic Music: When playing as the Flood or final Survivor, dynamic music plays in the background to intensify the experience.
Flood Gameplay Tuning: Flood move faster, react differently to bullets, and have specially tuned armor abilities, the core of which is an enhanced Flood Thrust Pack.
Flood has its own set of unique medals, including:
- Flood Conversion: Convert a Spartan to the Flood
- Alpha Conversion: Convert a Spartan to the Flood as an Alpha
- Infector: Kill 2 Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Carrier: Kill 3 Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Juggernaut: Kill 4 Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Gravemind: Kill ALL Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Flood Kill: Kill a Flood
- Flood Kill Assist: Assist killing a Flood
- Flood Hunter: Kill 4 Flood in a row as a Spartan without dying
- Flood Survivor: Kill 6 Flood in a row as a Spartan without dying
- Flood Exterminator: Kill 10 Flood in a row as a Spartan without dying
- Last Man Standing: Be the last surviving Spartan
- Final Conversion: Kill the last remaining Spartan
- Flood Victory: Contribute to the Flood total conversion of all Spartans
- Ancient One: Survive the entire round as a Flood and convert at least one Spartan
- Clever: Survive the entire round as a Spartan
Flood mode glitchesEdit
- In flood mode, there are quite a few glitches in the gametype. In one instance, a player has joined the game as a human but just before that player chooses a class, the game finds a new host. When this happens, the player spawns with an Assault Rifle instead of a Shotgun, which can give that player a huge advantage due to the strength of the weapon and the range of the weapon. Another glitch, which has since been patched, grants the infected players the ability to pick up dead human weapons. This glitch makes the player carry the weapon in the infected claw-like arm. This gives that player a small but really usefull advantage against other players.
- Another glitch can occur when the players spawns in with a DMR and appears as hostile to all other players, when killed by a Flood or player they will respawn as a player with their DMR however if they kill a human the human will turn into Flood. There is also a small graphical glitch where a player that joins in to a matchmaking game in progress will posess their default armor color, instead of the forced yellow.
- The flood forms in the game appear to be wearing Forerunner Combat Skins. However, these Flood forms are actually infected Spartans. Hence, they are just wearing the underlying Spartan suit.
- For Saint Patricks Day, all human players had green armor instead of yellow, and all Flood players had green on their "skin".