- “I’m showing a lot of photonic activity. The excited photons have displaced the air around the light path."
"Which means that the light has become coherent. Solid.”
There are usually two components to a light bridge: a control panel, and the hard light emitters. The control panel is a semi-translucent holographic array of Forerunner symbols and glyphs that are projected over the surface of a pedestal. Tapping the "blue-green circle" activates the light emitters. A cascade of coherent, high-energy photons are emitted through the air, generating a visible, horizontal band of light. Through unspecified physics, the coherent band of light interacts with the illuminated air, and pushes aside the air within and around it is, becoming a firm, solid mass capable of supporting extremely heavy weights, ranging from a M12 Warthog LRV to several M808B Scorpion MBTs. When damaged, the emitters flicker on and off, causing the light bridge to flicker, creating a less stable force.
Light bridges were used by John-117 during the UNSC's operations on the surface of Installation 04, in the subterranean complexes and the Flood containment facility. Though mainly unseen on Installation 05, they are also present on the Ark, again in a subterranean area, and another two close to the Citadel near the Ark's Core. One of the cooling systems on the Ark was located on a three level causeway that possessed a light bridge on the lowest level.
Light bridges are quite common on Requiem, although the encountered ones are smaller than on Installation 04 or the Ark. A larger light bridge, similar in scale to the Citadel bridge on the Ark, is seen on the Mantle's Approach leading to the Composer.
- There are four light bridges in the Halo Trilogy. The first and second are the bridges on the level Halo, and the bridges on the level 343 Guilty Spark from Halo: Combat Evolved, the third being the one on the Ark on the level The Ark in Halo 3, and the last being the one in the Citadel on The Covenant. In Halo 3, the multiplayer level Narrows featured a light bridge that was part of the causeway. In Halo 4, there are numerous small light bridges scattered throughout the game, with one large one at the Composer in Midnight.
- Halo: Combat Evolved (First appearance)
- Halo 3
- Halo Wars
- Halo: The Flood
- Halo Encyclopedia
- Halo 4
- ↑ Halo: The Flood, page 84-85
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "Wages of Sin"
- ↑ Halo: The Flood, page 84
- ↑ Halo 3, campaign level, The Covenant
- ↑ Halo: Combat Evolved, campaign level, 343 Guilty Spark