|Date of birth|
1.8 metres (5 ft 11 in)
M6 Series (unknown model)
|Chronological and political information|
- "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
- — Ellen Anders
Professor Ellen Anders (Civilian Consultant 500493) is an intelligent civilian researcher. With PhDs in biology, anthropology, and psychology, Prof. Anders is the preeminent expert in theoretical xeno-biopsychology. Anders has an IQ of 180 and was the student of Dr. Catherine Halsey, progenitor of the SPARTAN II program. She appears to hold a particular grudge against the Covenant, and like many involved in the war effort considers her work to be for the good of humanity as a whole. She somewhat personifies the 'absentminded professor' stereotype, with a characteristic disregard for personal safety.
Professor Ellen Anders was born on the colony of Arcadia. She apparently studied under Doctor Catherine Halsey, though their relationship was tense, with neither holding the other in a fond regard. In 2531, some time before the Harvest Campaign, she was lecturing on Theoretical Xenobiology at Rishard University. When stopped on the street by an nondescript stranger, she was told that that Dr. Halsey had recommended her as a 'consultant'. Anders told the man that there was some mistake, as she was not on speaking terms with "that woman". Despite her refusal, a car pulled up and the man dragged her in before speeding off. The man and his accomplices, ONI agents, brought her to an undisclosed location. Anders was furious and demanded to know why she was kidnapped. They showed her classified images of the Covenant on Harvest and snippets of intercepted communications which referred to the planet as a "Treasure World". This piqued Anders' interest, and she agreed to assist ONI in deciphering the Covenant's motives and nature. She was given 'unrestricted' (presumably broad, but limited to her field of study) access to ONI equipment and resources. She then traveled to Epsilon Indi System aboard an ONI vessel UNSC Last Gleaming, where she reviewed the data on the Covenant. While on board, she determined that while the Covenant were looking for something, but they were trying to hide something as well. Later, she was relocated to the UNSC Spirit of Fire.
- Main article: Harvest Campaign
Aboard the Spirit of Fire, she was loaned the Observation Deck for a workspace, claiming the view of surrounding space "added perspective to her work." Her assigned minder, Sergeant John Forge, was somewhat disagreeable to her, as the two were basically polar opposites and bickered constantly.
After getting some unexpected readings on an EM band in Harvest's north pole, Anders requested that a Hornet squadron en route to Rally Point Baker be diverted to investigate. A large Covenant ground force was subsequently discovered, and Sgt. Forge was dispatched to observe further. A structure of unknown origin on the surface, the target of Covenant excavation, drew her attention, and Anders resolved to investigate further in person, despite protests from Forge. Captain Cutter supported Anders, but ordered that she be extracted should there be any sign of danger. Upon entering the Relic, she uncovered only a holographic map of the Galaxy, not quite "what [she] expected". A Covenant ambush interrupted her examination of the structure, but was successfully repelled by Forge and Anders' Marine personal security detail. After examining the artifact, she realized that the map had led the Covenant to Arcadia, and upon her recommendation, the Spirit of Fire set course to the planet with all due speed.
- Main article: First Battle of Arcadia
Over the course of the Spirit of Fire's travels, Anders softened towards Forge, especially after noticing how much he cared for those around him. During the First Battle of Arcadia, Anders used modified Rhino tanks to blow through a shield dome, revealing a half-built Scarab, and a complex of ruins underneath. The UNSC Marine force on the surface destroyed the Scarab, but during an investigation of the site, Anders and Forge were attacked by the Arbiter. When Forge was about to be killed, Anders gave herself up as a hostage to save the Sergeant's life. Forge persuaded Cutter to mount a rescue mission.
- Main article: Battle of the Flood-controlled Shield World
The Spirit of Fire followed Anders' signal to a previously unknown Shield World. Meanwhile, she was imprisoned on top of the Apex, where the High Prophet of Regret intended to use her status as a potential Reclaimer to activate the Forerunner ships. Anders used a teleportation pad to escape to the surface while the Elites were distracted by the majesty of the ships. Shortly after she teleported, she was threatened by a number of Flood Infection Forms, and only narrowly rescued by Forge. The latter's Pelican was shot down immediately after, but both were successfully evacuated by Pelican after a brief overland trek.
Anders devised a plan to use the Spirit of Fire's FTL reactor to cause the artificial sun inside the Shield World to go supernova, thus destroying the ships (and any other Forerunner technology) before the Covenant could make use of them. Forge and Red Team encountered complications, in the form of Elite intervention, and the former stayed behind to manually overload the reactor. After narrowly escaping the exploding Shield World, the Spirit of Fire set a course for the nearest UNSC forces under conventional power. Two weeks later, Cutter forced Anders into cryo-stasis, stating that she got them all out of there alive. As the pod closed, Anders reminded the Captain that not all of them had survived (referring to Forge and others).
- "Leader Power": Cryo Bomb —freezes enemies in place, temporarily neutralizing ground units and causing frozen aircraft to crash, destroying them. The only upgrade that Anders' power doesn't affect is upgrading a Reactor.
- "Unique Unit": Gremlin - uses an EMP to momentarily immobilize enemy vehicles and turrets.
- "Super Upgrade": Hawk — a laser beam upgrade to the Hornet.
- "Economy Bonus": Upgrade cost reduced by 50%, research duration reduced by 50%
- Anders doesn't appear to be bothered by Freezer burn, as she goes into cryo-sleep fully clothed- although this may be due to Ensemble Studios' unwillingness to show her in the nude, which would lead to a potential M or AO rating.
- Despite popular belief, Ellen Anders is not the daughter of Catherine Halsey; this has been stated by Ensemble Studios themselves. She has on several occasions expressed dislike, if not active hatred, for Halsey. In the Halo Wars booklet, Anders has made a personal note under her own description: "Why mention Halsey here? She hated me and I hated her." It also says she was Halsey's student. Anders also doesn't seem to get along with Serina, an A.I. attached to the Spirit of Fire.
- Dr. Halsey's real daughter is Miranda Keyes.
- Anders has apparently always dreamed of being an A.I.
- Despite not being on friendly terms with Dr. Halsey, it is mentioned in Halsey's personal journal that "I wish that Anders girl was still around" probably meaning that although they did not like each other very much (if at all) Dr. Halsey did value her knowledge and experience with xeno-archeology.
- Anders does not go by "Doctor". In her log inside the Halo Timeline, it is stated that her mother wanted her to use Doctor Anders as her career name, but she cannot abide being reminded of her. It is also stated that she suspects her mother of arranging her recommendation to the ONI, remarking, "This cloak-and-dagger operation has her fingerprints all over it". In Halo Wars: Genesis, her 'kidnapper' also stated that Dr. Halsey recommended her to the ONI too, although this might be false.
- Anders is voiced by Kim Mai Guest, who is known for voicing Mei Ling in the Metal Gear Solid series.
- Although never stated, Ellen Anders is believed to be of Asian ethnic origin, being at least part Asian based on appearance, and that her voice actor is Asian.
- Anders is singularly organized, to the point of compulsion. By extension, she also has the habit of solving unfinished jigsaw puzzles.
List of appearancesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 8
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Halo Wars Manual
- ↑ GameDaily: Anders is more than just a pretty face (Accessed on 2009-01-23)
- ↑ Halo Wars: Genesis
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Gamereactor TV: TGS08: Halo Wars Gameplay Presentation (Accessed on 2008-13-12)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Game Daily: Eventually, Forge grew on her (Accessed on 2009-01-23)
- ↑ Xbox-Halo Wars (Accessed on 2009-02-02)
- ↑ Halo Wars, Field Trip To Harvest
- ↑ Game Trailers TV - October 3rd, 2008
- ↑ Gamespy: Accessed on 2009-01-08
- ↑ Game Daily: Sending a message across the universe (Accessed on 2009-01-23)
- ↑ Halo Wars
- ↑ Official Halo Wars Community Site: Is Prof. Anders the Daughter of Dr. Halsey?
- ↑ Spirit of Fire: Serina and Anders talk
- ↑ Game Daily: She'll solve your Rubik's Cube (Accessed on 2009-01-23)