|Deep Space Anomaly #0198.|
Derelict is a multiplayer map in Halo: Combat Evolved. It is set aboard a Forerunner space station apparently in orbit around Threshold, as the planet is visible through the windows, as well as the moon Basis. It is cataloged by the UNSC as Deep-Space Anomaly #0198. It is a very small level that is best suited for 10 or less players, as more can become extremely chaotic unless that is the desired effect.
Derelict is a small, symmetrical map where battle is fast and furious. The four pillars near the center of the map support a cross-shaped system of catwalks. These catwalks are accessible only by teleporter. The catwalks make excellent sniping or grenade-throwing positions, though standing still at any place on this map means inviting a swift death.
In the center, on the upper level is an Overshield, on the lower level is a Health kit. The Active camouflage is on the upper level between two lights. The Sniper Rifle is on the area exactly opposite the Active camouflage before three lights.
- Players must keep a watchful eye on their HUD and radar to prevent charging into a trap, and getting attacked from behind or flanked.
- If you get stuck with a plasma grenade, head for a teleporter as fast as you can, run into the middle and grab an overshield. This way you may survive, but unfortunately, will be stuckwith 0% shields.
- Grenades (especially frag grenades) are very useful on this map. In such a small map, players tend to clump together in bunches that just scream for a well-placed grenade.
- Most combat takes place on the "ground" of Derelict. Jumping into a teleporter puts one on the catwalk system, which means a slight reprieve from the action. As stated above, the catwalks are good for picking enemies off from a safe distance. Beware, though—after a few shots (or grenades), players will notice you, and a least one will probably join you on the catwalk. Start moving as soon as the enemy begins to return fire.
- Keep moving throughout the whole battle. Players who stop moving, or stop to type on Derelict die very quickly.
- Using the side tunnels and picking up the Flamethrower at their entrances can really help in objective based games, as everyone usually runs straight down the middle.
- Grabbing the Overshield and dropping down into the raging battles below can be a quick and easy way to earn some kills, as the individual players will be concentrating on their opponents. Use your Radar to track enemies attempting to assassinate you.
- If one should walk into a teleporter and walk backwards as they spawn, then they should walk into a small alcove behind the teleporter. If used in conjunction with the Active Camo and Sniper Rifle, this makes for an excellent hiding/sniping spot. Just remember: if you see your screen turn white, run out of the teleporter, switch to a weapon better suited to close combat, and turn around.
- This map, along with Boarding Action, are the only multiplayer maps in Halo: Combat Evolved that are set in orbit.
- In the game data this map is called "Carousel" possibly because of its circular shape and the physical appearance from the top resembles a carousel as the name suggests and could have been it's original name.
- The architecture of the level resembles the architecture of the containment facility in the Halo Combat Evolved level 343 Guilty Spark.
- Derelict was remade as the map Desolation in the Xbox version of Halo 2.
- The map Assembly in Halo 3 is very similar to Derelict.