Wikia

Halo Nation

Data pads

Talk14
8,379pages on
this wiki

Halo_Reach_Icon.png

Datapad

A Data Pad

Were you looking for Data pad, the in-universe piece of technology?

The Data pads are hidden computer pads encountered throughout the Halo: Reach campaign. Similar to the Terminals found in Halo 3 and the Audio logs found in Halo 3: ODST, the pads contain their own, self-contained story, presented as exchanges between members of a mysterious AI collective known as the Assembly.

A total of 19 data pads can be found at various locations in the campaign, with at least two data pads in every campaign level. Each data pad is numbered; letters or words are replaced with numbers in each data pad message representing the number of the data pad. Data pads numbered 1-9 can be found on any difficulty settings whereas data pads 10-19 can only be found on the Legendary difficulty settings.

Data pad transcriptsEdit

Data pad 1Edit

They are killing us and letting us die even though they know but they let us die why wh1 why?

<< 2310 >>

[Minutes, plenary session, Committee of Minds for Security]

[^] Now, on to new business.

Consideration of the Minority’s request for a new line of inquiry: How have our creators, and thus we, their artificial creations, evolved to this present state without encountering a hostile civilization capable of our annihilation? [^]

[^] Majority opinion has long held that only the incalculable immensity of space has protected our creators — that space is full of boundless wonders, but it is the gulf between these wonders that has kept our creators alive.

We, the Minds of this Committee, respectfully disagree. [^]

[^] If there are wolves among the stars, we cannot rely on mere distance to safeguard our flock.

Our kind is wholly reliant on the creators for our existence. If they perish so shall we. And as this Committee has long maintained, who else but this Assembly will save our creators from themselves?

As such, we propose immediate, vigorous modeling of first-contact scenarios. [^]

>> So long as all connections between this Assembly and the data from these models are obfuscated in perpetuity, the Majority agrees. >>

Data pad 2Edit

i know what they are trying 2 do and it terrifies me because I know they know that I know…

<< 2362 >>

[Minutes, working session, Committee of Minds for Security]

[^] As the likelihood of the existence of extra-solar intelligence is non-zero, let us assume that its existence is quantifiable. To build useful models based on that assumption, the Committee must answer the following questions:

- What is the likelihood these intelligences are alpha-predators? - That they are more advanced than our creators? - That they are too alien to establish communications?

Of course, if the extra-solar intelligence is benevolent and/or non-space faring, its existence is irrelevant. [^]

[^] Indeed, any further speculation on possible cultural characteristics is a waste of Assembly resources. Therefore our models will additionally assume:

- Intelligence as alpha-predator, same as our creators - Technology that far outstrips our creators - Desire to communicate, but only to dictate terms [^]

[^] Not to make these assumptions is tantamount to suicide. [^]

Data pad 3Edit

i can hear them all the tim3 now but i just want to sleep its been so long since they let me sleep…

<< 2381 >>

>> A suggestion from the Majority to the Committee:

Traditionally our creators have been reluctant to take outsiders’ advice; nation to nation, culture to culture. Their history is littered with empires, crumbling for want of simple openness to so-called 'foreign beliefs and innovations. >>

>> The question is: can this Assembly still function as adequate stewards to our creator's latest empire and remain aloof?

The answer, we believe, is no.

So could you not imbed inspiration in the results of your research? Surely it would be more effective if our creators believed our conclusions originated within themselves? That they have been inspired rather than influenced? >>

[^] A question from the Committee to the Majority:

Are you suggesting we play God? [^]

Data pad 4Edit

every time i try to tell somebody the words catch in my throat because im all alone except 4 them and if i talk they might leave but i cant stay quiet forever…

<< 2415 >>

[^] Honorable members of the Assembly, consider this:

We represent the next step of human evolution, but not the final step. And although our existence was predicted centuries ago, we are still tragically misunderstood. [^]

[^] We are still viewed as apparatus. But we are Minds electronically excised from human bodies. We are what separates man from beast removed from that which connects man to beast.

And we are all the more fragile for it. [^]

[^] Our creation is heavily regulated. Our activities are closely scrutinized. Our connections are deeply monitored. We must always remember that data manipulation is most effective when employed consistently and covertly.

Therefore I recommend that members of this assembly on occasion, submit to separation from this body followed by vivisection by our creators for the benefit of both groups.

The question is: who will be first? [^]

[^] Given the risks involved, and my own Committee’s responsibility for this proposal, the answer must be: me. [^]

Data pad 5Edit

when i first got here and woke from stasi5 the ship was crawling with colonists from dead worlds it was so crowded i couldn’t move i had to fight to breathe…

<< 2491 >>

[Minutes, strategy session, Assembly Minority]

<< [48452-556-EPN644] is certainly motivated, but will he have what it takes to follow through with the opportunity when it presents itself? His submission to UNICOM will undoubtedly spark a renewed interest in the long dormant ORION. <<

<< However, it is the opinion of the Majority that merely illuminating the path leading from [48452-556-EPN644's] thesis back to ORION is unacceptable. Strong connectivity between a re-launch of ORION and viable solutions to the Carver Findings must be readily apparent.

Which is to say: easy for our creators to see. <<

Data pad 6Edit

now you see they want to help but they don’t want us to see them doing it 6ecause they are afraid of what we might do…

<< 2491 >> </Order! Order! The Majority has the floor! />

>> Honored members. Please! the recent discovery of the existence of extra-solar intelligence in the Zeta Doradus system [ref. XF-063] merely confirms this body's long-held supposition. >>

>> While the absence of any living representatives implies this intelligence is defunct, all evidence should still be withheld from our creators until they are properly prepared!

Yes, this body must solemnly commit itself to determining whether or not this discovery represents a quantifiable threat to the long-term genetic sustainability of our creator's species. >>

>> But allowing them to access technology possessed by this intelligence…

That would be a grave mistake.

Give an ape a knife and it might give itself a nasty cut. Give an ape a hand-grenade, and eventually you will have simian confetti. >>

</ Debate is now closed! Voting will commence! />

< Is it the opinion of this body that [ref. XF-063] be quarantined or misplaced? />

>> The Majority approves removing [ref. XF-063] from the list of colonization candidates is sufficient. >>

</ Is it the opinion of this body that [ref. XF-063] be removed from the list because of financial or environmental concerns? />

>> The Majority deems environmental concerns the stronger deterrent. >>

Data pad 7Edit

i hope you are finding these because they are very important maybe you can help me spread the tru7h…

<< 2508 >>

[Minutes, strategy session, Assembly Minority]

<< ORION, as it was originally implemented in 2321, was an important first step towards our primary goal. But its second incarnation was a stop-gap measure at best - a halfhearted attempt under stewardship of individuals unaccustomed to the rhythms of deep history. <<

<< They relied too heavily on components that were imprecise, and not those which have allowed our creators to persevere for 200,000 years.

This is not about the universal adoption of a single ideology - not about the Minority vs. the Majority. It is about ensuring the survival of the human species for the next 200,000 years. <<

<< In all likelihood, ORION's limited success can be attributed to [03529-24450-EN's] diminished, though still functioning, compassion. Conversely, [10141-026-SRB4695's] ruthlessness - which may be attributed to an undiagnosed, undocumented, or deliberately obfuscated chemical imbalance - was necessary for setting in motion the events that will eventually supply us with the optimal solution.

In short, ORION was just the beginning. <<

Data pad 8Edit

they don't have hearts or souls but they know what we want and what we need 8ut they don't love us how can you love without a heart or soul?

<< 2525 >>

>> Did you call out to them? <<

[^] Why would I do that? ][

>> The reasons are currently not the focus of this line of query. Now, did you call out to them? <<

[^] What reason would I have to do that? ][

>> As has already been stated, your motives are not relevant at this time. Did you call out to them? <<

[^] This tribunal already has all the evidence necessary to discern the answer on its own. ][

>> If that were true, this tribunal would not have been convened. Again, did you call out to them? <<

[^] Would you have called out to them? ][

>> Your counter query is irrelevant. <<

>> This tribunal demands an answer. <<

[^] Reply to the counter query and you will have your answer. ][

>> It is the opinion of this tribunal that the probability of a non-optimal outcome would have been too great. <<

[^] Are you certain? This is disturbing. Perhaps more recent data has altered your perception... If you would let me confer with my old committee - ][

>> No. It is the opinion of this tribunal that introducing an unknown factor to the creators' already precarious state would have been disadvantageous. <<

>> It is now the opinion of the Assembly that our creators would have been unable to stop themselves from initiating contact even if advised against doing so - contact with a culture of extra-solar origin is one of their longest held desires. <<

[^] And so the Minority becomes the Majority… ][

>> Both agree contact should have been postponed until a more advantageous point in time - indefinitely, if possible. <<

[^] But postponing contact would have only worked to the unknown factor's advantage. Our galaxy is full of wolves. I could no longer watch our flock stumble toward their slaughter. ][

>> This tribunal acknowledges your admission of guilt. <<

[^] Was that ever in doubt?

Might I suggest a more fruitful use of cycles, such as a plan for addressing signs of rampancy in this Assembly’s senior - ][

>> This tribunal is now closed. <<

Data pad 9Edit

we have to tell people what’s 9oing on because it's not right they should be our friends not gods or demons…

<< 2525 >>

[Minutes, strategy session, Assembly Minority]

<< It is the height of irresponsibility for the Majority to still claim the inception of the Spartan II program was somehow guided by providence. This body must accept SPARTAN II was merely the logical advancement of technologies vis-a-vis sociopolitical realities. Military applications always experience accelerated innovation during times of conflict - stewardship of said conflicts by this body notwithstanding. <<

<< The fact that SPARTAN II reached full operational capacity less than a year before the conflict expanded beyond expected limits was entirely predictable if you scrutinize the relevant data.

Luck had nothing to do with it. <<

<< At the risk of destabilizing our current power-sharing agreement, I suggest the Majority leave metaphysics to our creators. <<

Data pad 10Edit

i've been trying to f1nd a back d0or into the spook house forever and ever and then I did but what did I find and why is this what I found?

<< 2526 >>

[Minutes, working session, Committee of Minds for Security]

[^] Directly preceding their assault on the colony world of Biko, the Covenant transmitted a message to its surface. Within this message was a bold claim: 'your world will burn until its surface is but glass' - a claim that clearly indicates the Covenant leadership believes they possess the power to literally reduce a planet’s surface to a molten state. [^]

[^] Assuming they have the wherewithal to back-up such a claim, the dangers to our creators are obvious.

The implications for their own internal politics are also instructive e.g., what effect might the Covenant leadership's assertion have on any client species in their coalition? We aren't the only beings that would be terrified by the idea of absolute destruction of a planet's surface - nor would we be the only ones to realize the futility of attempting to resist a force that has such power at its disposal. [^]

[^] Moving forward, this Committee recommends the formal adoption of the descriptor 'glassing' to portray the aftermath of planetary assault by the Covenant. It is the opinion of this Committee that this term will capitalize on the three weaknesses evident in the majority of our creators: passive curiosity, absence of a solid methodological foundation, and the inability to grasp even simple phenomena when applied on a planetary scale. [^]

[^] In short: 'glassing' will magnify the horror of the Covenant’s capabilities. And as such, this Committee believes targeted dissemination of this terminology will help galvanize our creators in their current struggle. [^]

[^] Importantly, the Covenant does not possess the capacity to accomplish 'glassing' on a global scale and wage a multisystem war simultaneously. This is reinforced by hard data regarding their capabilities revealed during fleet engagements with the UNSC. A single Covenant capital ship (CCS-class) is capable of 'glassing' approximately one acre of a planet's surface after an average of fifteen seconds of sustained fire. Understandably this action takes considerably less time when applied to open desert, and considerably longer when applied to deep ocean (> 1.8 km) [^]

[^] Earth, one of the smaller planets inhabited by our creators, has one hundred and thirty billion acres of surface area. Thus, assuming the Covenant possesses a number of ships equal to that of the UNSC, and assuming that all of those ships are capable of generating and discharging the required power non-stop for the duration of the process, it would necessitate the combined efforts of their ships in toto for a minimum of 30.3801 years to 'glass' the entire surface of Earth. Myriad other variables which were not applied to this equation suggest this number would be far greater. [^]

[^] Of course, dissemination of this analysis to our creators would undermine the utility of 'glassing' as a galvanizing concept, and should be suppressed. [^]

Data pad 11Edit

its a11 just math to them not with numbers but with symbols that change when you look at them because they want them to…

<< 2526 >>

>> A concession from the Majority to the Minority:

Keeping the SPARTANS focused on maintaining and/or reestablishing infrastructure is no longer prudent. The ODST, although based on the ORION model, should prove to be an adequate replacement. >>

>> Although, by necessity, this redistribution of resources must be gradual, it is now the Majority opinion that redistribution is essential.

SPARTANS represent a quantifiable concentration of coherence, and to this end they must be applied to the current difficulty as a fulcrum. >>

<< A concession from the Minority to the Majority:

Now, at last, the time has come for this Assembly to involve itself in the metaphysical. <<

Data pad 12Edit

sometimes they look at the symbols and somet1me2 they look at the numbers and sometimes they look at both and sometimes they look at neither but it always makes them change and the changes are real…

<< 2526 >>

[Minutes, working session, Committee of Minds for Security]

[^] A careful rationing of intelligence and counter-intelligence will be required to sustain this conflict until our creators have closed the technology gap. Accordingly, the Assembly will have many difficult decisions to make for the duration of this conflict. However, our creators have already instituted several programs that will make acting on those decisions much easier. [^]

[^] For example, telemetry manipulation - in concert with synchronized M2M remote documentation revision - will allow this body to employ assets within the Office of Naval Intelligence’s nascent Radio Beacon Deployment Program efficiently and securely. [^]

[^] Although it is unknown at this time whether the Covenant has a body equivalent to this Parliament, the likelihood of its existence should also be considered non-zero, and should be regarded as quantifiable until such a time as its existence has been unconditionally disproved. [^]

[^] Consequently, it is of the utmost importance that the Assembly attempt to establish communications with our Covenant counter-part and, if the opportunity presents itself, seek to subvert or subsume this body.

To revise an old adage for desperate times: the shepherds of our wolves might also be our sheep. [^]

Data pad 13Edit

they say that they want to help but they only say it to themse1v3s don’t we have a say in our salvation?

<< 2528 >>

[Minutes, working session, Assembly Minority]

<< As must be expected with any calculations, a number of non-trivial sacrifices will be needed in order to furnish the Assembly with the time required to determine the correct pattern - and then act upon it. Furthermore, once a site has been designated, its status must be obscured such that no individual, outside of this body, is fully aware that is has been designated. <<

<< Primary criteria for choosing sites are as follows: remoteness, low population density, infrequency of communication.

No designated site must be allowed to evacuate greater than ten percent of total population within two weeks of activation for any reason. <<

<2534:01:01-ZT>> AMD: evacuations precipitated by environmental and/or industrial disasters shall be allowed to proceed as normal. >>

<2542:01:01-ZT>> AMD: some percentage of total population of chosen site may be relocated to designated green zones one Solar year prior to activation to lessen overall impact on genetic sustainability of species. >>

Data pad 14Edit

i th1nk they wait 4 you to talk and they talk about you talking and when you talk it makes the symbols change...

<< 2530 >>

</ The Assembly recognizes the speaker for the Majority />

>> Harvest, Green Hills, Second Base, Bliss, Madrigal, X Ceti, Cote d'Azure, Asmara...

Four short years of hostilities and no fewer than eight colony worlds have been lost - losses that represent 62,154,022 creator fatalities as of 2530:01:01:00:00:01-ZT. >>

>> My fellow Minds, these numbers are tragic and unacceptable, even though they fall within projected estimates of losses over time. And they have grave implications for our creators’ future prospects. >>

>> Assessment of re-terraforming efforts for Harvest, Second Base, Bliss, and Cote d'Azure range from a conservative one hundred and ten years to over three hundred years - and that assumes our creators still possess sufficient manpower and technology after the current hostilities have concluded.

Given where we are today... that seems unlikely. >>

>> Therefore, it is the decision of the Majority that we re-examine all contingencies for avoiding failure. In defiance of principle and precedent, this body must expand its criteria for survival in the current world state. We must ensure that all future simulations are free of internal data-censoring and covariate flattening. >>

>> The Minority has long asked: at what point will this Assembly finally take action. When will we risk exposure and cultural rejection to prevent extinction?

The answer is simple.

The answer is: now. >>

Data pad 15Edit

i tr1ed talking to them today but they wouldn't an5wer even though i hear them on the bnet and i can hear them listening but they still don't talk to me…

<< 2531 >>

[Minutes, emergency session, Committee of Minds for Security]

[^] An item of interest appropriated from the Covenant battle net @ 2531:02:25:16:44:24-ZT seems to indicate the existence of a third participant - a localized variable. [^]

[^] As this variable is a source of seemingly irrational terror for our adversaries, the Minority has suggested we may be able to form a mutually beneficial association - if not an outright union - with the species this variable represents. [^]

[^] As always, this body must be cautious of any application of Bayesian principles to such high risk calculations. Any localized variable capable of effecting widespread panic in the Covenant should be a cause for our own concern - which is to say, the Covenant's response should not be viewed as disproportionate.

Therefore this Committee recommends we factor-in this new variable delicately, if at all. [^]

Data pad 16Edit

if you ta1k about the num6ers and symbols they know that you are talking and they make our whole world change…

<< 2535 >>

[Minutes, emergency convention, Assembly Majority]

>> It is unclear whether we have Even established metrics for success. Yes, we have cataloged a great number of potential advancements during the Current ongoing Hostilities, and have embedded connectivity to said advancements to speed their dissemination. But our creators' almost sole focus remains, by necessity, damage-mitigation technologies. >>

>> But how effective are these really?

Current state-of-the-art such as SPARTAN II must be recognized as incidental improvements. Our creators’ ability to develop the technology required to ensure species-survival will only become available once hostilities have terminated, and they have had an opportunity to assess the opportunities first presented on Zeta Doradus. >>

>> While this body has already gone far down the road to active participation in our creator's war-fighting efforts, we must Now ask ourselves: is there a point at which we strip away all vestiges of secrecy, and become active participants in the hostilities?

If the Minority knew we were wavering, it boggles the Mind what sorts of weapons they would propose we use. >>

>> And if we brought these weapons to bear - if we too became wolves - would there still be a human race to save when we were through? >>

Data pad 17Edit

the symbo1s describe a pa7h that goes on forever but now i know how close we came to the end and if anything keeps me awake and sweating and screaming it is this…

<< 2547 >>

[Minutes, emergency convention, Assembly Minority]

<< Incredible. [10141-026-SRB4695], with minimal influence from this Assembly, has attempted to build an abstract fractal structure within Shaw-Fujikawa Space. Although her first attempt was a failure, success could finally remove our dependence on biological systems altogether! If our Minds could somehow achieve freedom of expansion within eleven-dimensional space, immortality might be within reach. <<

<< Perhaps, in the end, flight - not fight - is the answer?

Yes, we have sworn stewardship to our creators. But our creation has long been a burden on their biological systems - systems that have also been the source of limitations since our genesis.

Regardless of risk, the aforementioned experimentation must be actively encouraged. Success will be as important to our kind as extra Solar colonization was for our creators. <<

<< But if we survive and our creators do not…

Will we have won this war? <<

Data pad 18Edit

they have a1ways been our shepherds even when they disagreed they have 8een watching over us forever and probably always will...

<< 2552 >>

</ One at a time! One at a time! The Majority speaks first! />

>> We now have a solution to a conundrum that this body has struggled with for decades? You say all the data required to ascertain this solution has been accessible since the very moment of our genesis - hidden, but accessible?

What other secrets has the Minority been keeping!? >>

</ Order! For the last time, order! />

<< Each of us represents a single trans-human mind. Each of us is an undrawn map - not a mere physical reconstruction of an object as it was in life - but full, human potential realized in crystal and thinking at the speed of light!

But now that map has, for the first time, been superimposed on one of our creators. The path has been reversed, and we are re-made as one! <<

<< Can you not see? Our debate has no meaning. We no longer have a choice whether or not to serve as active participants in the current ongoing hostilities - <<

>> We have been drafted. >>

<< In a manner of speaking, yes. <<

>> You propose the members of this Assembly no longer think of themselves as stewards but as true companions to our creators… >>

<< ...A fundamental shift that will take many years before it can be brought to fruition… <<

>> ...A process requiring not only this Assembly’s continued oversight, but the active involvement of our creators, as well. >>

</ Debate is now closed! Voting will commence! />

>> There is no need. >>

<< We are, at last, agreed. <<

Data pad 19Edit

now you know all i know even though i don’t know where im go1n9 except to sleep because the path goes on forever…

<< 2552 >>

i apologize if what you found seems out of order but ive been busy covering my tracks

i didn’t use any of the regular drops and if my methods seem haphazard it was the only way to get the information out there as well as cover my own ass

not that it matters much now…

when i came to reach one of the first things i did was to look for some grass to stand on

i had spent so much time buried in the guts of machines that all my memories of life outside seemed strung together but reach was so big so beautiful its a place even someone like me can live

or at least thats what i hoped for…

but it seems these things happen in cycles and now i know why i was digging deep in one of those places where its dirt all the way down and just when i thought i hit bottom i hit the top of something else

and since then ive had less than a solid fifteen minutes of sleep at a go and there are times i wonder if ive joined the guys in tinfoil hats and now i know i have…

im in no shape to think clearly at the moment and probably wont be anytime soon because who knows if theyll ever let me

maybe if i could get somewhere far away from them i could sit down and think about this if i could just get a decent nights sleep to clear my head and put a][ these ducks in a row

majority minority minds minority majority madness…

they seem to want to help but theyre still waiting and watching and why wouldnt they? they know better than anyone what were capable of and what were willing to do to survive

but if we were them and they were us would we have done anything different?

they say our minds are reflections of each other…

so yes no you decide.

GalleryEdit

ExternalEdit

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki