The D96-TCE Albatross, formally known as the Dropship 96 - Troop Carrier, Equipment, is a heavy-lift dropship used by the United Nations Space Command. It was developed and produced by Ushuaia Armory.
The D96-TCE Albatross has been in service since at least 2517. It is a vital part of the UNSC's logistical operations, capable of deploying personnel, vehicles, weapons, and supplies deep behind enemy lines. It serves as both an atmospheric and exoatmospheric craft capable of delivering troops and supplies wherever needed once a landing zone has been secured. Although the Albatross typically possesses no armament, its nimble maneuverability and heavily armored, expansive cargo bay allow it to transport troops, weapons, vehicles, and other supplies safely.
The Albatross' cargo bay is capable of transporting multiple vehicles and other heavy weapons at a time. Once it has landed, it lowers three metal ramps holding the bay, allowing its cargo to be unloaded. Once landed, the Albatross can be used as a makeshift base, indicating that it may also serve as a mobile field command post for the UNSC.
Known Albatross dropshipsEdit
- An albatross is a seabird, in keeping with the UNSC's tradition of naming all of its vehicles and craft after animals, with the exceptions of the Cyclops and Gremlin, which are named after mythical creatures, and the Longsword, Shortsword, Sabre and F-41 Broadsword which are named after bladed weapons.
- Some Albatrosses have words inscribed on their hulls by their crews, similar to pilots who painted on the exterior of their bombers in World War II. 03 bears the words "Covenant Killer Mk C" and "Humanity-1 Flood-0."
- The Albatross dropship was mentioned in Halo: The Fall of Reach, when John-117 and the other Spartans were participating in their training excercise in the mountains.
- Halo 2 (First appearance)
- Halo 3
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (2010 edition)
- Halo: Fall of Reach - Boot Camp
- Halo: New Blood