This article or section's title is a callsign, an alias, or a nickname, as no proper name for the subject has been revealed. You can help by adding it if it is now known.
- “We fight one another now, but we should be fighting the true enemy: the humans.”
The Covenant Remnant, founded and led by Supreme Commander Jul 'Mdama, emerged in the wake of the Human-Covenant war, the Great Schism and the disappearance of the San'Shyuum. Like the Swords of Sanghelios and Merg Vol's faction, 'Mdama's faction considers itself to be a legitimate successor to the original Covenant Empire, and thus the faction is known by its followers simply as the Covenant. Although the faction is generally recognized as a continuation of the original Covenant, its members are identified as terrorists by the UNSC and the organization itself is regarded as closer to a religious cult as opposed to a full-fledged empire like the original Covenant.
After breaking away from the main body of the newly peaceful Covenant, the Covenant Remnant continued to adhere to worshipping of the Forerunners, particularly the Ur-Didact. The Covenant Remnant was founded in 2553 by Jul 'Mdama and Kaidon Panom. Unbeknownst to his followers, Jul no longer had any belief in the Forerunners as gods, and really just saw their technology as a means to eradicate humanity. With this, the Covenant turned their sights on the Swords of Sanghelios and entered into the Blooding Years.
In the summer of 2557, Remnant forces on Requiem engaged UNSC personnel who had become stranded on the installation, defying the cease-fire between humanity and the Sangheili. The Covenant still maintained a presence on Requiem six months later, attempting to awaken the Librarian hidden in the Shield World. The Covenant would eventually vacate the planet when Jul acquired one half of the Janus Key and set the planet to collide with the sun. Catherine Halsey joined forces with Jul 'Mdama for revenge against the UNSC following the destruction of Requiem. Jul 'Mdama saw her as important, giving her crude medical attention after she was shot by Sarah Palmer. There is, however, no evidence that she actually subscribes to the beliefs of the Covenant Remnant, and as such she is not technically a member.
As in the original Covenant, the Sangheili serve as the Remnant's military leadership caste.
- Main article: Sangheili Rank Structure
The Sangheili armor covers less of their skin than the standard Sangheili Combat Harness, leaving the arms mainly exposed, while having the legs more heavily armored. This is due to the fact that most of the armor is scavenged or non-military.
- Type-26 Assault Gun Carriage
- Type-32 Rapid Assault Vehicle
- Type-55 Anti-Infantry Stationary Gun
- Type-58 Ultra-Heavy Site Excavator/Embedded
- Type-55 Ultra-Heavy Siege Tower
The Covenant Remnant use a variety of air vehicles. For up until the end of 2558, the main ground attack vehicle they used was the Type-26 Ground Support Aircraft. In late 2558, this was replaced with the Type-54 Ground Support Aircraft. The main method of aerial troop deployment was through the Type-44 Troop Carrier. For mass deployments and heavier firepower, the Covenant used the Type-56 Ground Support/Ultra Heavy Deployment Platform. By late 2558, the Type-44 TC was replaced with the Type-57 Dropship Troop Carrier. As well, the Type-57 Troop Carrier was added to the aerial troop capabilities of the Covenant.
The Covenant Remnant utilised several different types of starships. They are known to operate at least one type of carrier, the CAS-class Assault Carrier. They also used a lot of different types of cruisers as their main offensive ships. These include the ORS-class heavy cruiser, the RCS-class armored cruiser, the CCS-class battlecruiser, and the CRS-class light cruiser. By the end of 2558, the Covenant began to run out of these and turned to the use of older ships such as the Brigantine, the Man O' War, the Sangheili Blockade Runner, and the Carrack merchant cruiser.
- Unlike the regular Covenant, the Remnant is not averse to using human technology. There are several examples of Remnant units, such as Parg Vol, collecting UNSC weaponry and vehicles, the use of a captured Pelican to listen in on UNSC troop movements, the theft of several UNSC nukes that then had their warheads removed and used in an attempt to destroy the UNSC Infinity.
- This may be due to their lack of resources compared to Covenant Empire throughout the Human-Covenant War.
- In gameplay, Remnant units will even operate UNSC machine gun turrets.
- It appears they are also willing to have Humans in their ranks to achieve their goals with examples like Catherine Halsey.
- Jul 'Mdama is the only Zealot in Halo 4 that has blue armor and a holographic symbol projected from his helmet.
- Gek 'Lhar is the only Remnant Sangheili that didn't wear his helmet in the cutscenes, even when he was hunting down Henry Glassman and SPARTAN Gabriel Thorne.
- Each rank except Sangheili Zealots, Sangheili Warriors, and Unggoy Rangers have different color armor.
- Halo 4
- Spartan Ops (First appearance)
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Nightfall
- Halo: Spartan Strike
- Halo 5: Guardians
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Cannon Fodder, Puzzled Expression
- ↑ Halo: The Thursday War
- ↑ Halo 4 - Collectible: Terminal Prologue - Location Unknown
- ↑ Spartan Ops - Episode 10: Exodus
- ↑ Halo 4 - Level: Dawn, Cortana: "The good news is these Covenant aren't outfitted like standard military…"
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 119
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Designs of the Times
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 118
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 120
- ↑ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 195
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - page 194
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Level: Osiris
- ↑ Halo 5: Guardians - Level: Battle of Sunaion