- “The initial Covenant strike is over, but the fight for Mombasa has just begun.”— Halo Waypoint - Halo Bulletin 11/9/11
Breakneck is a multiplayer map from Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and the Anniversary map pack for Halo: Reach. The map is a remake of the popular Halo 2 map, Headlong. Breakneck includes most of the things that Headlong is well known for (e.g. The Crane, Rocket launcher, Gauss Warthog).
The changes to the map are forgeable but not entirely, as the hole will just be covered up and the debris from it will keep falling, and the thruster is a static part of the map.
Changes from HeadlongEdit
- The teleporter has been replaced with a Man Cannon. However, it still leads to the same place.
- The Corner Building now has a hole in the ceiling on the second floor, adding a new strategical advantage.
- Instead of the Seventh Column symbol on the river front, there is just an open-topped circle, on a much higher perch.
- A new vent has been added in the tunnels near red base. It functions as a secondary route through the room, not offering a link with the ground level at all.
- Rather than the dirt path that was there previously, the road leading to the Banshee spawn is now broken debris.
- The two hanging platforms are now static, and have undergone minor geometry changes.
- There is now a Falcon, crashed into blue team's spawn building.
- All visuals have been updated. While the theme has been kept, there is noticeably more destruction in the scenery.
- This is the second of three Halo 2 maps to be remade into the Halo: Reach engine. The first ones were Ivory Tower and Beaver Creek.
- A picture of the original Headlong is seen behind the far back wall along the water.
- There is a GRD Doll on this level, just like the other six maps from the Anniversary map pack.
- Breakneck marks the first appearance of Earth in Halo: Reach matchmaking.
- If one looks at the red message above the sealed doors, they will see "IAMCHRISCARNEY" on it. This is a reference to the Halo 2 map designer Chris Carney.
- On the evacuation notices, one can clearly see the Superintendent from Halo 3: ODST. This is a reference to the fact that the map takes place within New Mombasa.