|This article does not have enough inline citations or proper citation format. You can help Halo Nation by adding citations.|
This page contains plot spoilers for Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare. Do not continue reading if you would like to avoid them!
You wish to know about Atriox and his Banished? The Covenant's dirty little secret. The Jiralhanae they could not control.
During the Human-Covenant war, Atriox was sent to fight in 40 man teams. In each battle, Atriox was the only survivor. Tired of seeing his compatriots die, Atriox rebelled against the Covenant. Thus The Banished was created. Now, its own organization separate from the Covenant, The Banished began fighting against the Covenant before the Great Schism.
In early 2550, the Office of Naval Intelligence began to take notice of The Banished. Specifically after The Banished's attack and theft from the Carter Guard Armory. For the rest of the year, The Banished turned toward the Covenant primarily, raiding and recruiting only to have ONI notice this trail after Codename: Slow Dive. Desperate to gain any assistance in the Human-Covenant war, one ONI agent proposed making a deal with Atriox.
In the November of 2558, The Banished arrived at Installation 00. However, The Banished maintained some operations in the Orion Arm. After arriving, the Banished assaulted the Henry Lamb Research Outpost and killed most who were in the base.
Battling the Spirit of FireEdit
- Main article: Battle of Installation 00 (2559)
In 2559, the crew of the UNSC Spirit of Fire encountered them. Atriox attacked Red Team, and allowed them to escape. James Cutter then declared war upon the Banished. During the battle, the Banished lost the Enduring Conviction to a barrage of Sentinels. Though this loss was devastating, The Banished had discovered Installation 09. They immediately attempted to board the new Halo, though a large portion of them failed to get on thanks to the Spirit's forces. The remaining Banished forces on the ring were destroyed in attempts to access the Control Room. However, this failure didn't stop Banished forces still on the Ark proper. Colony attempted to gain control of Forerunner tech, only to be defeated by the Spirit's forces.
Awakening the NightmareEdit
A few months after the conflict on Installation 09, Pavium and Voridus led a salvage mission on the outskirts of High Charity's crash site, now quarantined by the Installation 00's Sentinels, to prevent the surviving Flood within the city from escaping. Ignorant of Atriox's order not to enter the city, Voridus used a Volatile Scarab to cut a hole in the shield containing the crash site. This resulted in a resurgence of Flood on the Ark.
The Banished's assets mainly consist of Covenant assets slightly modified to fit their unique design aesthetic.
The Banished use a variety of ground vehicles. These include the Reaver, the Marauder, the Wraith, the Chopper, the Ghost and Type-47 Scarab. The Banished also use their own variant of the Shade turret.
Unlike most Jiralhanae, Atriox does not care for the Sangheili-Jiralhanae war, viewing the feud as petty. As such, he has welcomed many Sangheili into the Banished as warriors. Because Atriox and the Jiralhanae in the Banished claim to not have been involved in the betrayal and massacre of the Sangheili, many Sangheili have willingly accepted the offer, and joined viewing the Banished as "other". Let 'Volir, his crew, and three Sangheili formerly from Resa 'Azavayl's Silent Shadow squad reluctantly joined the Banished. Despite this coexistence, rivalry between the two species still manifests. The Sangheili under Decimus' command were treated with resentment and often sadistically sent on suicide missions. This is due to Decimus in particular, still holding a grudge against the Sangheili for treating the Jiralhanae as inferior during the time of the Covenant.
- Atriox: Warmaster and supreme leader of the Banished.
- Decimus: A general in the Banished and Atriox's right hand. Killed by UNSC forces on Installation 00.
- Balkarus: A Jiralhanae Captain under the command of the Banished.
- Pavium: A Jiralhanae lieutenant.
- Voridus: A Jiralhanae lieutenant.
- Teranus: A Jiralhanae Guard.
- Odanostos: A Jiralhanae Chieftain. Killed by Hekabe prior to September 2558.
- Let 'Volir: A Sangheili shipmaster reluctantly serving the Banished in exchange for supplies for his ship and crew.
- Jato 'Ratum: A Sangheili who served in a mining expedition for the Banished.
- Orda Val 'Saham: A Sangheili Guard in service to Atriox and Let 'Volir.
- Val 'Telram: A Sangheili Guard and Huragok translator.
- Colony: Commanders of all its Lekgolo forces on the Ark.
- Yapyap the Destroyer: An Unggoy leader that later rebelled against Atriox.
- Yam-Blim: An Unggoy thrall-taskmaster under the command of Decimus. Killed by Spartan-II Alice-130 on the Ark.
- Shadow Master of Buwan
- ↑ Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Outpost - "The Banished have perfected their strip—mining and rapid assault and extraction efforts over a decade of raiding Covenant and other targets."
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox V
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Community Update - Burn Baby Burn
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: A New Enemy
- ↑ YouTube: Live at E3 2016 - Halo Wars 2: Behind the Scenes
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox I
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox II
- ↑ Halo Waypoint: Community Update - Diminishing Daylight
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - Rise of Atriox III
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Campaign Logs - The Graveyard
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Halo Waypoint: Halo Wars 2 - KNOW YOUR ENEMY
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Banished Buildings - Harvester
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: The Signal
- ↑ IGN: Halo Wars 2 Developer Interview - IGN Live: E3 2016, 3:05-3:18
- ↑ YouTube: Halo Wars 2 Official E3 Trailer
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: Under the Dark
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Level: The Foundry
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Levels: The Halo and Last Stand
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Levels: Gatecrashers and Not On My Watch
- ↑ Halo Waypoint - Community Update: Flood of Emotion
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Awakening the Nightmare Campaign
- ↑ Halo Wars 2 - Collectible: Phoenix Logs - Banished Buildings - Shield Generator
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace, Hunting Party - "So, you've simply traded one leash for another. Vengeance is petty. Vengeance has no reward."
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace, Hunting Party - "I see you for what you are and what you could be. We can do great things together. Not as master and slaves, but as the warriors you truly are."
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace, Hunting Party - "I am not Tartarus or some fanatic. I am not Truth. I am not Regret. I am their remedy."
- ↑ Halo: Tales from Slipspace, Hunting Party - "Agreed. Atriox is of a kind with our enemies, but he is OTHER, and an ally worth considering."
- ↑ GameSpot - Halo Wars 2: New Character Images and Details Revealed-"...and as one of Atriox’s generals Decimus now takes a sadistic joy in ordering those Elites on the most dangerous, even suicidal, missions."
- ↑ GameSpot - Halo Wars 2: New Character Images and Details Revealed-"Decimus still harbors some resentment against the Elites under Atriox's banner due to how Elites treated the Brutes during the time of the Covenant..."