While not used by all AIs, every Smart artificial intelligence uses an avatar as do many "dumb" AIs. This visual representation is chosen by the AI upon their creation and can be whatever they desire it to be. Although the duty which the AI is to perform, combined with the human brain that was used to create it, have a great deal to do with what avatar they chose to appear as. Without exception, AI systems identify themselves as male or female based on the gender of their brain donor.
When an AI creates its avatar, it will often opt to appear very attractive, basing its characteristics from the emotive responses at the base of Human behavior. The creation of an AI's avatar occurs very early in the system's birthing process, and unless an AI is programmed to have multiple avatars, it cannot alter its appearance after its initial creation, and attempts to do so have resulted in catastrophic AI system crashes.
List of Known UNSC AIs and their AvatarsEdit
- Auntie Dot: A series of glowing blue grid patterns.
- Cortana: Tall and slender woman, appearing to be nude, albeit censored by symbols across her body, with short-cut hair in Halo: Combat Evolved, then long hair in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 . She is often described to have calculations faintly scrolling across her body, and resembles her brain donor, Dr. Catherine Elizabeth Halsey.
- Déjà: The appearance of a Greek goddess: barefoot, wrapped in the toga, motes of light dancing about her luminous white hair and holds a clay tablet in her left hand.
- Endless Summer: A tall, red Cherokee Indian chief, bare-chested, wearing buckskins, and with a feathered spear in hand.
- Iona: One of the two known AIs with more than one appearance, her default appearance is that of a slender woman with short, curly hair with angular shapes across her body, reminiscent of a skin-tight suit. She also appears to wear boots and knee pads. She has an additional appearance resembling a child version of her default avatar for her more simplistic "ghost" interface to deceive remote scanners. She glows dark red.
- Lysithea: A sweet feminine voice with a laugh that sounds like "fine bone china clinking together."
- Melissa: Tall and slender with long hair, Marathon symbol on her left shoulder. Yellow or black or brown, depending on the image.
- Rebecca: She is one of the few known A.I.s to have two appearances. Her first appearance is described as "half-Athena, half-Ares" witha feathered Greek headdress and ancient armor. She then changed her appearance to a flabby, middle-aged Mediterranean woman in a flower dress.
- Serina: A tall and slender woman with long brown hair, wearing black boots, tight pants or leggings and a white shirt.
- Sif: A slender woman with a long neck and elevated chin, wearing an ankle-length, sleeveless gown of "interwoven sunset hues" and has long, golden hair, which falls "in waves to the middle of her back".
- Wellsley: Stern-looking man with mildly long hair, prominent nose, and a collared coat; supposed to look like an 18th-century British officer. Is said to resemble his namesake, Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington.
- There were also at least three AIs at the Damascus Testing Facility on Chi Ceti IV, with the avatars of a samurai, a mermaid, and one made entirely of bright light with comets trailing in her wake.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 28
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 30
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Halo Encyclopedia, page 220
- ↑ Halo: First Strike, page 127
- ↑ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 95
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 106
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 178
- ↑ Halo Wars: Genesis
- ↑ Halo: Blood Line - Issue 1
- ↑ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 147
- ↑ Halo: First Strike, page 100
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions, The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, page 422
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, pages 28-29
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions, Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian, page 83
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions, The Mona Lisa, pages 231 and 233
- ↑ Halo 4, Spartan Ops
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions, The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, pages 463-465
- ↑ Halo Wars
- ↑ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 68
- ↑ Halo 3: ODST
- ↑ Halo: Evolutions, The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole, pages 448-252
- ↑ Halo: The Flood, page 209
|Known UNSC AIs|
| Aine • Araquiel • Auntie Dot • Black Box • Beowulf • Captain Teach • Chauncey • Cortana • Deep Winter|
Doppler • Durga • Déjà • Endless Summer • Eternal Spring • FitzGibbon • Iona • Jerrod • Juliana • Kalmiya
Lackluster • Loki • Lorelei • Lysithea • Mack • Mama • Melissa • Mo Ye • Pallas Athena • Phoenix
Orlin • Rebecca • Roland • Sekmet • Serina • Sif • Solipsil • Superintendent (Vergil) • Toran • Watchmaker • Wellsley