The Asymmetric Recoilless Carbine-920, also known as the ARC-920 or simply the Railgun, is a compact-channel linear accelerator that fires a high-explosive round at incredible speed. The charge time is approximately two seconds and can be fired with only a partial charge at the cost of lesser damage. A direct hit will kill any player regardless of charge time.
The ARC-920 is the next step in the evolution of UNSC Railgun tech. It is widely considered the best out of all limited production rifles, though compared to other weapons, it is still quite cumbersome. The followed-on explosive charge in its M645 ferric-tungsten projectile helped keep the ARC-920 in its high position as a deadly tool of destruction.
Older Railgun models such as the M99 Stanchion were very heavy and bulky, limiting their use to more precise combat-roles. However, Post-War research and development has shrunk combat-effective electromagnetic launching systems into nothing more than bulky rifles including the ARC-920. System mass was reduced by creating an integrated cartridge that contains both a disposable power cell and a ferric-shelled projectile. Even more refinements in this field are expected in the near future.
- The Railgun can kill Spartans and all but the highest-ranked Knights and Elites with one shot.
- The Railgun is accurate at short and medium ranges.
- It is weak against vehicles.
- It must be charged before firing.
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 5: GuardiansEdit
- Holds more rounds in reserve.
- Charge time slightly longer.
- Projectiles fly much faster.
- Although the Railgun lacks a zoom feature in Halo 4, players are able to use the armor's zoom feature in mid-charge.
- The Railgun's projectiles fire relatively slowly, so players may want to lead their targets at longer ranges.
- While charging, the Railgun's barrel glows blue, alerting other players.
- The projectile goes through a series of rings, indicating it is more similar to a coilgun than a railgun.
- Halo 4 (First appearance)
- Halo: Spartan Assault (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo 5: Guardians