Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In the Xbox version of Halo: Combat Evolved, if you create a new profile, rename an existing one, or create a map name and name it ".fortune" (Dot located with shift on), a random saying will appear on the screen.
The ".fortune" on the text box will then also instantly disappear, thus rendering ".fortune" an impossible account name. However, if you place a symbol at the beginning (Such as a left parenthesis) to make ".(fortune", and subsequently use the arrows to move to and delete the parenthesis when finished, ".fortune" will remain, allowing you to use it as a profile name.
List of Fortune QuotesEdit
- All your hard work will eventually pay off
- Everything lies in silence
- If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway (The first of Murphy's Laws)
- Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. (A subdivision of Murphy's Law)
- Never wear your best pants when fighting for freedom.
- Rest is good, but idleness is its brother.
- Don't wear your best pants in war. (Rare)
- Smile when you're ready.
- You cannot fall off the floor. (Another Murphy's Law)
- Your luck is about to change.
- Sorry, this fortune is temporarily out of order. (Rare)
- I like beans. (Rare)
- SoB dawg! (Extremely Rare)
- This joke was also present on Bungie.net's Myth metaserver.
- The Easter egg is similar to the fortune command found on most Unix and Unix-compatible operating systems. Like the fortune command in Unix, the Halo: Combat Evolved egg draws a random quote from a database, albeit much smaller in size than the lists accompanying most fortune implementations.
- The Mystery Achievement in Halo: The Master Chief Collection is awarded when the player saves a custom game type in Halo: Combat Evolved and names it ".fortune".